Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Alexandre Derezhenko is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    I'd rather GO or WENT?

    Which is more correct:

    Did you enjoy the picnic? It was ok, but Id rather go (or went) to a movie.

  2. #2
    Nightmare85's Avatar
    Nightmare85 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I'd rather GO or WENT?

    ***Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.***

    Hi,
    I don't know if we can speak of "more correct".
    Either it's correct or not.

    Did you enjoy the picnic?
    It was ok, but I would rather go to a movie.

    I don't think this is correct, because would go is not past.
    You could say:
    Did you enjoy the picnic?
    It was ok, but I would rather go to a movie next time.


    So I would say:
    Did you enjoy the picnic?
    It was ok, but I would have rather gone to a movie.


    However, I would like to hear some teacher's opinion as well since this sentence is not that easy.

    Cheers!

  3. #3
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I'd rather GO or WENT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    ***Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.***

    Hi,
    I don't know if we can speak of "more correct".
    Either it's correct or not.

    Did you enjoy the picnic?
    It was ok, but I would rather go to a movie.

    I don't think this is correct, because would go is not past.
    You could say:
    Did you enjoy the picnic?
    It was ok, but I would rather go to a movie next time.


    So I would say:
    Did you enjoy the picnic?
    It was ok, but I would have rather gone to a movie.


    However, I would like to hear some teacher's opinion as well since this sentence is not that easy.

    Cheers!
    Did you enjoy the picnic?
    It was OK, but I would rather have gone to a movie.

  4. #4
    Nightmare85's Avatar
    Nightmare85 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I'd rather GO or WENT?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Did you enjoy the picnic?
    It was OK, but I would rather have gone to a movie.
    Hehe, thanks.
    Your version sounds better to me.
    (I wonder why I didn't write it that way )

    Cheers!

  5. #5
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I'd rather GO or WENT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre Derezhenko View Post
    Which is more correct:

    Did you enjoy the picnic? It was ok, but Id rather go (or went) to a movie.
    I see nothing wrong with "I'd rather go to a movie." It's a comparison of a picnic as a "thing to do" versus going to a movie. How was the picnic? OK, but I'd rather go to a movie (than go to a picnic.)

  6. #6
    probus's Avatar
    probus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I'd rather GO or WENT?

    "I'd rather went to" is just plain wrong, to answer the thread-originator's question simply.

    As pointed out by Nightmare85, there is a grammatical argument against "I'd rather go to": considering sequence of tenses strictly, the correct form is "I'd rather have gone to".

    Although that is technically correct, nevertheless "I'd rather go to" is what we hear colloquially all the time.
    Last edited by probus; 10-Jan-2011 at 06:03.

  7. #7
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I'd rather GO or WENT?

    Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    As pointed out by Nightmare85, there is a grammatical argument against "I'd rather go to": considering sequence of tenses strictly, the correct form is "I'd rather have gone to".

    Although that is technically correct, nevertheless "I'd rather go to" is what we hear colloquially all the time.
    My reading of what Nightmare 85 wrote is that he considered "I'd rather go to" to be correct, provided that some time marker such as "next time" was added.

    I feel that it is not even necessary to add the time marker, as SoothingDave also seems to feel.

    "I'd rather have gone to" is correct only if we are talking about the speaker's preferred past activity.

    As you rightly write: "I'd rather went to" is just plain wrong, to answer the thread-originator's question simply.

  8. #8
    Verona_82 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I'd rather GO or WENT?

    However, we can say "I'd rather we went to a movie than sat all day at home", can't we?

  9. #9
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I'd rather GO or WENT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Verona_82 View Post
    However, we can say "I'd rather we went to a movie than sat all day at home", can't we?
    Yes, we can.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •