I hope she likes... vs I hope she will like..

• Thread starter bleiva
  • Start date
  • Views : 77,484
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bleiva

Hello,

I was chatting with a cousin who lives in the United States the other day and while doing so I started to doubt about a phrase I've heard native speakers using.

For example, which of the following is better to say? Or are both correct?

'I hope (that) she will like these flowers.'

or

"I hope (that) she likes these flowers" ?

Please, correct me if I've just made any grammar mistakes. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'I hope (that) she will like these flowers.' . "I hope (that) she likes these flowers" ?
Both are correct and natural.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Both are correct and natural.
:up: ... I think I detect a slight difference in context. In the flower shop you think 'I hope she will like these' [with the tense matching the earlier question 'Will she like these ones or those?], and when you're ringing her door-bell you think 'I hope she likes these'.

These aren't fixed though. If, for example, you're particularly nervous about the reception of the flowers (as she didn't like them the last time), you might well think 'Oh I do she will like them this time' where the 'will' reflects the fact that the time between your ringing the bell and the door's opening feels like an age. ;-)

Hmm... What do others think?

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
:up: ... I think I detect a slight difference in context. In the flower shop you think 'I hope she will like these' [with the tense matching the earlier question 'Will she like these ones or those?], and when you're ringing her door-bell you think 'I hope she likes these'.

These aren't fixed though. If, for example, you're particularly nervous about the reception of the flowers (as she didn't like them the last time), you might well think 'Oh I do she will like them this time' where the 'will' reflects the fact that the time between your ringing the bell and the door's opening feels like an age. ;-)

Hmm... What do others think?
I'm never quite sure abut this.

I think that there is probably really no difference, but those of us involved professionally with the language feel there must be, and so make up the sort of differences you have mentioned.

That last clause was not any form of criticism of you - I have done exactly the same.

Of course there are times when only one form is possible:

A: My daughter goes skiiing every winter.
B: I hope she [STRIKE]will enjoy[/STRIKE] enjoys herself.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Why "goes TO skiing"? Isn't the phrase "goes skiing"?
Yes. Sorry. A slip of the typing finger.:oops:

I am now deleting the offending word on my post to spare myself further embarrassment.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes. Sorry. A slip of the typing finger.:oops:

I am now deleting the offending word on my post to spare myself further embarrassment.

I let it pass, with a faintly raised eyebrow, as it would be possible in some contexts. Back when I was a glorified taxi-driver, I can imagine a conversation like this:

MrsK: I'll take Sam to his piano lesson after I've picked up Emily.
Me: OK, then I'll take him to swimming tomorrow.

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I let it pass, with a faintly raised eyebrow, as it would be possible in some contexts. Back when I was a glorified taxi-driver, I can imagine a conversation like this:

Thanks for that Bob. It's obviously what I had in mind.:roll:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Thanks for that Bob. It's obviously what I had in mind.:roll:

(It's not, of course, but now that you've mentioned it, it rings a bell. I did drive my offspring to dancing, swimming etc. I think it's possible that they would say, 'I'm going to swimming this evening.')

But, I do not recommend that learners say this.

B

bleiva

Thank you very much for all your answers! :-D :) I got confused because I was sure I had heard both examples before, and both sounded correct to me, despite not being a native speaker. I felt there was some kind of difference between them but I wasn't sure, so I ended up thinking that one of them one was wrong...
However, I've got another question. I'm still learning how to use the forum, so I tried quoting one of the replies... I hope what I did worked.

I'm never quite sure abut this.

I think that there is probably really no difference, but those of us involved professionally with the language feel there must be, and so make up the sort of differences you have mentioned.

That last clause was not any form of criticism of you - I have done exactly the same.

Of course there are times when only one form is possible:

B: I hope she [STRIKE]will enjoy[/STRIKE] enjoys herself.

Why are there times when only one form is possible? Why wouldn't it be correct to say, "I hope she will enjoy herself"? I really get confused with the verb tenses sometimes, since in Spanish you only say one thing or the other... it's almost as if the "will" didn't exist.

Oh, and by the way... is there any difference between saying "I just finished" and "I've just finished"? Because I'm pretty sure I've heard both before.

Thank you very much :):-D

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
B: I hope she will enjoy enjoys herself.
Why are there times when only one form is possible? Why wouldn't it be correct to say, "I hope she will enjoy herself"?
In this specific example, speaker A is talking about a regular annual activity. It is therefore inappropriate for speaker B to hope for a future enjoyment. It would be appropriate in this exchange:

A: My daughter goes skiiing every winter. She normally enjoys herself, but things went wrong last year.
B: I am sorry to hear that. I hope she enjoys/will enjoy herself next time.

B

bleiva

OHH............I see now. The new example helped a lot. In the first example, she'll probably enjoy herself, right? However, on the other example, there is a possibility that she might not.
Thank you so much!

However, I've got one last final question. What's the difference between saying, "I just finished reading a book" (for example) and "I've just finished reading a book?" :-D What's the difference between both? (I've heard both... that's why I'm asking). Thanks in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is no real difference. The past simple is more common with just in AmE, the present perfect in BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.