What is in a word? A 'Discuss' by any name would be equally vexing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkrish

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
As a medical teacher bogged down by having to set questions for student evaluation on a regular basis, I come across preferences and pet-favorites of other teachers, when it comes to choice of action verbs... I see Discuss, Describe, Elaborate and sometimes Compare and contrast! Very often, just like the students, I too can't really get what is meant (irrespective of what is asked, all they always do is List)... can any one please Explain (forgot that one!)
Thanks
rkrish

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As a medical teacher bogged down by having to set questions for student evaluation on a regular basis, I come across preferences and pet-favorites of other teachers, when it comes to choice of action verbs... I see Discuss, Describe, Elaborate and sometimes Compare and contrast! Very often, just like the students, I too can't really get what is meant (irrespective of what is asked, all they always do is List)... can any one please Explain (forgot that one!)
Thanks
rkrish
Crudely:

Toves normally gyre when it is brillig. Discuss: Give the arguments for and against this suggestion.
Toves gyre. Elaborate: This statement is an over-simplification. Give some more detailed inf0rmation.
Compare and Contrast the mating habits of toves and borogoves: Say what these things have in common, and also show how they differ,
Describe the appearance of toves when the weather is brillig - that's pretty self-evident.

How's that?.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What happens if you ask them to list? They may launch into full-throttle comparisons and analyses. ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What happens if you ask them to list? They may launch into full-throttle comparisons and analyses. ;-)
They may lean in that direction.

rkrish

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Crudely:

Toves normally gyre when it is brillig. Discuss: Give the arguments for and against this suggestion.
Toves gyre. Elaborate: This statement is an over-simplification. Give some more detailed inf0rmation.
Compare and Contrast the mating habits of toves and borogoves: Say what these things have in common, and also show how they differ,
Describe the appearance of toves when the weather is brillig - that's pretty self-evident.

How's that?.

Wow! Five... Like I said, I am a medical teacher, but I got the picture.. thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.