Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
hi everyone,
I'm new in this web site,I hope i'll be welcomed:)
I'm from Algeria and I'm a new teacher "permanent english teacher" and i've just turned 23. I teach in middle school level (= C.E.M in Algeria )(4 years),puipls of 10 & 11 in the first level and english is first introduced at this level.
I have 1st and 3rd classes. as for the 1st classes I have no control on my pupils ;espacially when we enter the classroom :yhey continue to talk ,laugh ,fight on the chairs "this is my chair ,the other it's mine as i they brought with them from home" and here i start shouting using sometimes French or Arabic,they calm down for like 10,15 m then start the noise again " Miss he took my pen ,Miss look he hit me ,...." which drive me crazy and start shouting again ,sometimes I put the noisy puipls at the back of the class facing the wall.Sometimes it works and sometimes they enjoy it because they don't have to write.
I'm very very tired ,I've never imagined my self this kind of teacher ,i tried to be nice ,and they took it as weakness as well as my age ,they don't take me seriously.they are noisy in other classes but not like in my class.
please ,tell me how can I control my calss and be more effective

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi,

Strictly speaking this is an English Language discussion forum so this post doesn't really fit in here. However, have you discussed this with your head teacher? What advice has s/he given?

If it were me (and I'm not a teacher), I would remove the disruptive pupils from the classroom. School policy may not allow this of course, but if it does then remove them. In my opinion you have no duty to teach these pupils if they won't abide by normal social rules. In the end the loss will be theirs.

Rgds

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What sort of backup and support do you have from other more experienced teachers and the management?

DZuser

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
What sort of backup and support do you have from other more experienced teachers and the management?
I don't have any suuport from the other teachers ,when i try to speak to them they jsut say taht they're facing the same problem ,others say: you have to be more serious:shock: how? i don't know.
thans for ur reply

samatbigben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Greece
It sounds like a nightmare. Sorry you're having such a negative experience. I've been teaching for twenty odd years and still have classes that kill me so take heart.
Anyway.
First you need to sort the noisy kids from the quieter ones and see if you can pair them up so as to keep the fighters away from each other.
It's helpful if the desks can be arranged so that everyone can see everyone and you can walk between them, making your presentation from unexpevted places so the have to turn to follow what you're saying.
This way you can lower the volume of your voice but also alter it from time to time so as to keep them on their toes.
As they are generally lively they need very short dramatic presentations and lots of action try to use their noise for good rather than just having to listen to you.

To get them quiet at the beginning of a lesson.
Just walk in and start writing their names on the board.
Put a cross ,tick or any symbol next to the names of the talkers and something else next to the quiet people's names. Still don't say anything but make out you're counting and if possible start giving some kind of reward to those who are quiet and then give them some individual work to do or slowly move them to a different area of the room one by one and give say four children a game to play(obviously that they have to use their English for)slowly the "excluded" ones may start to calm down enough to have a look.

Keep adding up the symbols on the board and if they're still not responding be seen to note stuff down in an official looking book.

All the time keep talking only to those who are taking part as you want.

All this means a bit more preparation on your part but you will need material for people who work that they can get on with with little help and the nicer that is the more likely the others will try to join in.

If you want let me know what kind of teaching environment you are in- classroom style/organisation/timetable/materials/philosophy and I'll try to give you some more ideas.

This is all off the top of my head and disjointed but good luck for now and hang in.

Monic

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
Hello:
Honey, I hope this doesn't arrive too late:roll:. I've got some experience with all kind of students and of all ages. Facing them to the wall as you must've discovered, just doesn't work. What I strongly recommend that you do is to follow some steps that are not easy at all; but they definitely work.
1. Always prepare your class (Improvising is not for Teachers)
2. Include songs and games (Simplify them)
3. Set the rules of the class. Use a cardboard, crayons and ask them to cooperate and decide the most important ones, to help you actively and to set realistic, clear consequences you and they will have to comply, and paste it on a visible place. Every time they missbehave, point to the poster and do as it says.
4. Be prepared with as many activities as possible (Although children are adorable, they can be the easiest or the most complicated people to please, therefore as soon as you realize an activity is not working, change it. Students' most common missbehavior comes from boredom.
5. Children are easy to please, so SIMPLIFY, a lot of color, imagination an good will, most do
GOOD LUCK!!!
Mónica

DZuser

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hi Monica,
thanks for your advice .I'll try to put into practise the steps which they seem to be good ,yeah children definitely like coloured boards and songs I've remarked that,the problem is when they start the noise I loose tempper I don't know how to deal with it.This time I'll be more patient , I'll give a try ,It's worthy .thanks again. what a hard job !!!!

Monic

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
Hi honey:
You know what? By this time you must know their likes and preferences. One of them as you've mentioned, is to make a lot of niose. Let's take advantage of it. You can use it as a reward or as a punishment. You can include an activity or game where they can jump, run and shout... If they like it, that will do!!! Tell them you'll play it when the beheave well,and when they missbeheave, it will be cancelled. A friend once told me, children desperately need discipline, because it makes them feel safe. To be totally honest, at the beggining I thought it would be horrible for both, them and me; but let me tell you that the more strict you are, the happier they are. I'm not telling you to be mean to them, but to comply whatever you tell them for the better or the worse. I know you'll find the balance between strictness and sweetness. you've shown to be a caring teacher, therefore you are a good teacher. I can imagine how difficult this period or lapse must've been. This profession (and more over if you're working with young learners) is tough and needs lots of work and enormous efforts; but it is also the most satisfying and rewarding one as well. Perhaps, it is just I love children, but I'm sure you'll feel the most succesful and satisfied person in the world when they hug you and tell you how much they love you or when you realize they are spontaneously and correctly using something you've taught them.
Again Good Luck!
Mónica;-)

Last edited:
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Pakistan
Hey there..
Well, I'm also new in here. I found this forum by finding a poem online. I found it really helping for the students and anybody else who is interested in English and knowing English. I love English myself too. I've done my masters in Lit. I'm 22 and residing in Pakistan. I've done jobs and my every job was based in someway on my frequent English. I've done Reception, Bank and even Teaching. I found teaching the most honorable.
Anyway, I'm also currently teaching English to higher classes but I also have noise making classes like 6th and 7th. The best way to make them quiet in my way is to give them some work which needs full attention and which is a little interesting too. And first impression is the last always. I've made my impression from the first day that my pupil keep quiet when they see me...lolx:shock:
And yea, you should also talk to the head principal for this matter. Give them the punishment of writing one thing quiet a lot of times or any lesson..I hope by this, they won't be making so much noise.

Regards,
Reenx

Last edited:

moallem

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It sounds like a nightmare. Sorry you're having such a negative experience. I've been teaching for twenty odd years and still have classes that kill me so take heart.
Anyway.
First you need to sort the noisy kids from the quieter ones and see if you can pair them up so as to keep the fighters away from each other.
It's helpful if the desks can be arranged so that everyone can see everyone and you can walk between them, making your presentation from unexpevted places so the have to turn to follow what you're saying.
This way you can lower the volume of your voice but also alter it from time to time so as to keep them on their toes.
As they are generally lively they need very short dramatic presentations and lots of action try to use their noise for good rather than just having to listen to you.

To get them quiet at the beginning of a lesson.
Just walk in and start writing their names on the board.
Put a cross ,tick or any symbol next to the names of the talkers and something else next to the quiet people's names. Still don't say anything but make out you're counting and if possible start giving some kind of reward to those who are quiet and then give them some individual work to do or slowly move them to a different area of the room one by one and give say four children a game to play(obviously that they have to use their English for)slowly the "excluded" ones may start to calm down enough to have a look.

Keep adding up the symbols on the board and if they're still not responding be seen to note stuff down in an official looking book.

All the time keep talking only to those who are taking part as you want.

All this means a bit more preparation on your part but you will need material for people who work that they can get on with with little help and the nicer that is the more likely the others will try to join in.

If you want let me know what kind of teaching environment you are in- classroom style/organisation/timetable/materials/philosophy and I'll try to give you some more ideas.

This is all off the top of my head and disjointed but good luck for now and hang in.

Hi friend
I tried your strategy and it was very effective in the first step.
thank you .

moallem

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello Sir Richard
I'm sorry I send my request this way,but I've been forgotten how to send posts to people in this site.I mean the way we sent emails (private and so forth).Please help me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.