Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Please help me understand the following in bold.

He pulled into the parking lot at PARC, the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, where we were ushered into a room of computer equipment that blew me away. Steve had been there a month earlier with a group of Apple engineers, who had been divided about whether the goodies they had seen would amount to anything of value for personal computers.

Does "blew me away" here mean "I was very interested or impressed at the room of computer equipment"? And Does "goodies" refer to "the people in the research center" or "some very nice computer equipment (devices)"?

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
He pulled into the parking lot at PARC, the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, where we were ushered into a room of computer equipment that blew me away. Steve had been there a month earlier with a group of Apple engineers, who had been divided about whether the goodies they had seen would amount to anything of value for personal computers.
The equiment blew me away - I was stunned, impressed, amazed.
The goodies - the equipment, not the people.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Please help me understand the following in bold.

Does "blew me away" here mean "I was very interested or impressed at the room of computer equipment"? Yes, as you can see in the web dictionary: Blow away - English Phrasal Verb - UsingEnglish.com And Does "goodies" refer to "the people in the research center" or "some very nice computer equipment (devices)"? IMO it refers to equipment worth having, and desire it in the way a kid might desire something (e.g. some candy).

I'm not sure about the latter though, so I'll keep an eye on the natives' comments.

Thank you.

Hope it helps.

Greetings,

Charliedeut

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location