Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello. is it the sentence "John and I finally sealed the deal-we became a couple." correct? as in, does the idiom "seal the deal" apply correctly here?
thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

yourenglisheditor

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This informal idiom "seal the deal" reflects the traditional notion of contracts written on paper during a time when a 'seal' or wax imprint sealed a document or letter, and showed an initial in the wax of the sender. So, your sentence in context is correct; however, the use of the hyphen is incorrect and should be replaced by a semi-colon to separate the two independent clauses.

junia.brown

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
@kaizencoming: I know perfectly well what the idiom means, thanks so much. I was merely wondering if it could be applied to express that two people have become a couple.
there is no need to explain to me about wax and stuff like that.
the reason why I posted this question is because seal the deal means... well, I suppose I am not allowed to write it here. so having that meaning in mind, I got wondering whether I could say the sentence I said and still make sense... still sound like it1s English and not forced English, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.