[General] What is the meaning of "first billed"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

I was looking at a movie information on the IMDB website and there, under "Cast" it said: "Cast overview, first billed only:". What does "first billed" mean?

Thank you

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would take it to mean only the actors that appear on adverts for the film, or in a larger font in the titles - i.e. not the minor characters.

Best wishes,

MrP

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you MrP. :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would take it to mean only the actors that appear on adverts for the film, or in a larger font in the titles - i.e. not the minor characters.
You may be right, Mr P; I took it to mean only the first name to appear.

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It would probably have helped if I'd checked at IMDb first; but they seem to use the phrase to designate the main actors, with the remainder listed in a "full cast and crew" expandable link.

Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Film credits can be a confusing minefield of celebrity ego....actors' agents will lobby to have their star listed in a certain place on movie posters or in ads, or prior to the title in the actual film. Anyway, "first billed" usually refers to actors listed in the opening credits of a movie. As a rule, actors with minimal roles in films (say, Joe Smith who played "Man at Party") will be listed in the closing credits. But occasionally a major star (or major star of years past who hasn't had a starring role in eons but whose name has sentimental value) will play a small role in a film and, because of their celebrity stature will land a spot in the opening credits: "Special guest appearance by Milton Berle as Man at Party".

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Film credits can be a confusing minefield of celebrity ego....actors' agents will lobby to have their star listed in a certain place on movie posters or in ads, or prior to the title in the actual film. Anyway, "first billed" usually refers to actors listed in the opening credits of a movie. As a rule, actors with minimal roles in films (say, Joe Smith who played "Man at Party") will be listed in the closing credits. But occasionally a major star (or major star of years past who hasn't had a starring role in eons but whose name has sentimental value) will play a small role in a film and, because of their celebrity stature will land a spot in the opening credits: "Special guest appearance by Milton Berle as Man at Party".

Thank you Ouisch for this behind-the-scenes information. I did not know that agents also played a role in getting their star listed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.