Trying to learn an English ( Bristol) accent, any help with phonetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sten4556

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Everyone,

;-)I'm an American from the South and I've been interested in the British English dialects for a LONG time, now. It began when I was little with the " Queen's English" accent, and it was hard to imitate then. But I'm much older and STILL interested. About 2 years ago, I started studying it, and had learnt how speak with a really posh accent.

After that, I began to realize just how MANY:shock: regional dialects all of you have in England, it's fascinating. I've listened to samples and speakers from almost every different part of England and have sort of picked out a few I'd like to get down, but I'm determined for a Bristol accent. I was originally most fascinated with West Country accents, but then I really like the way Bristol speakers, speak.

What I realized a while ago, was that I really need to learn the phonetics for everything before I can completely have it down. Because I'm from the deep south ( my accent isn't that thick) the sound comes from the throat when I speak, so for an English accent I need to find out how to redirect the sounds in my mouth. I find that I sound almost convincing besides the twang in my sounds.

Does anyone have any sites for phonetics especially for the Bristol accent, or any web page that would help me decipher how Bristol accents are different from all the others?

thanks so much for taking time to read this and help me out, this would be a form of accomplishment for me, and it's been quite a hobby.:)

Bristolian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Italy
As an English Bristolian myself I feel I'm very well qualified to help, especially as I appeared as a Professor of Bristolian in a DVD 'Terr's Bristolian Language Lessons' recently which was a comic take on the accent and dialect (which shouldn't be taken too literally). For starters, my advice is to watch and listen to two famous Bristolians on Youtube, Justin Lee Collins (comic and British TV presenter) and Steven Merchant (co-writer of The Office TV sitcom which was a huge hit in the UK and I believe there is an American version). They both have noticeable Bristol accents and speak very much like a lot of Bristol people speak. Freeze the videoclips now and again then try to practise certain phrases which stand out. Two interesting points. Bristol is the largest city in England which has a rhotic accent where the 'r' is pronounced very strongly. The word 'car' almost becomes 'carrr'. There is also a tendency to put an 'l' on the end of certain words where it doesn't exist. For instance, America becomes Americawl, although the 'awl' sound is quite clipped, especially compared with the 'r' sound. If you want any more advice I'll be happy to give it.

sten4556

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
thanks everyone, and Bristolian, I'm so glad you're here and are nice enough to offer your help! thank you. I will listen to those for sure. I actually own the UK Office on dvd, and I had no idea Stephen Merchant was from Bristol! Thanks for pointing that out about the R's, because I took it that they weren't pronounced, especially because listening to "Skins" actors is misleading. People like Hannah Murray and Mike Bailey from Bristol, don't have that tendency, especially Hannah, so that was quite confusing. I have heard several Devon and Somerset accents, and I know the R is very noticeably pronounced in those accents, but it didn't occur to me that Bristol would have the same rule since it's in the West also. I'll definitely take your advice and I might even message you from time to time if there's something I have a question about. :)

mathewpollard

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello I am new for the forum and I am trying to figure out this. As i want some good posts as I found over here.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
...There is also a tendency to put an 'l' on the end of certain words where it doesn't exist. For instance, America becomes Americawl, although the 'awl' sound is quite clipped, especially compared with the 'r' sound. If you want any more advice I'll be happy to give it.

While my memories are still at school (French master quoted elewhere) this reminds me of my Bristolian physics master, who was always telling people to 'buck your ideals up, lad'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.