Britsh and American English the same for pronouncing plurals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry081958

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I teach American English pronunciation to ESL students. I was teaching the pronunciation of plurals. For example, if the word before adding -s, that is, to make the word plural, has a voiced consonant or is a vowel sounds, the /s/ is pronounced like a /z/. Such as: carz, boyz, etc.

My question is: do Brits or other speakers of English pronounce these plurals in the same way? My student (from India) insisted that he was taught to pronounce these plurals with an /s/ sound, not /z/. So, my British/UK/Australian or other English speakers, please let me know about this.

Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I teach American English pronunciation to ESL students. I was teaching the pronunciation of plurals. For example, if the word before adding -s, that is, to make the word plural, has a voiced consonant or is a vowel sounds, the /s/ is pronounced like a /z/. Such as: carz, boyz, etc.

My question is: do Brits or other speakers of English pronounce these plurals in the same way? My student (from India) insisted that he was taught to pronounce these plurals with an /s/ sound, not /z/. So, my British/UK/Australian or other English speakers, please let me know about this.
Your Indian student had a strange teacher. We use /z/ in BrE, too.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thanks!
/z/ in AusE and NZE as well.

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Wikipedia says :

Sometimes, Indian speakers interchange /s/ and /z/, especially when plurals are being formed. Whereas in international varieties of English, is used for pluralization of a word ending in a voiceless consonant, [z] for that ending in a voiced consonant or vowel, and [ɨz] for that ending in a sibilant.

jerry081958

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you everyone for your replies. I just wanted to be sure out of my own curiosity. With my Indian accent students, I am sometimes asked about "British English" which most Indians insist they speak well. And, I tried to 'hear' British English in my head and though I know a lot of the common vowel usages, I couldn't say with absolute certainty about this question. Many thanks!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are some features of Inidan English that have preserved features we have changed in BrE, but I haven't come across this pronunciation in the UK.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sometimes, Indian speakers interchange /s/ and /z/, especially when plurals are being formed. Whereas in international varieties of English, is used for pluralization of a word ending in a voiceless consonant, [z] for that ending in a voiced consonant or vowel, and [ɨz] for that ending in a sibilant.

The writer of the wikipedia article may have evidence for this.
I can say only that all of the many Indians I met when I was working in Oman, native and non-native speakers, used /s/ and /z/ as we do in BrE. Some of the speakers spoke with strong Indian English stress and intonation patterns and reflexive plosives, as well as using distinctively Indian English structures and vocabulary, but they didn't interchange /s/ and /z/.

Status
Not open for further replies.