[General] I like it, Thank you, Hell of a, out of control......(linking speech)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Hi everyone,

As I know the following phrases we'd better link all the words together and speak them out e.g. like it, Thank you, Hell of a, out of control, I wanted to know any other popular phrases will still need to link it together and speak out....To me, I wanted to know the technique of english linking speech....please advise.

EngFan

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As I know the following phrases we'd better link all the words together and speak them out e.g. like it, Thank you, Hell of a, out of control ...
I don't understand what you mean by, " we'd better link all the words together and speak them out".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Maybe, but none of those apply to the terms that the OP gave.
For example "out of control" is not correctly pronounced "outtacontrol".
There's no rule that says "Hell of a..." must be pronounced "Helluva".
These terms do exist, but it would be wrong to imply that that's how English should be spoken, or even that it's how English is usually spoken.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Maybe, but none of those apply to the terms that the OP gave.
For example "out of control" is not correctly pronounced "outtacontrol".
There's no rule that says "Hell of a..." must be pronounced "Helluva".
These terms do exist, but it would be wrong to imply that that's how English should be spoken, or even that it's how English is usually spoken.

I see, I mean I wanted to learn connected speech like native speakers , let me speak english more natural and speak sentences more smooth....I just wanted to understand more about the technique of connected speech.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I see, I mean I wanted to learn connected speech like native speakers , let me speak english more natural and speak sentences more smooth....I just wanted to understand more about the technique of connected speech.
The technique is that you learn to say the words properly, and during natural conversation, as you approach fluency, you will make whatever transitional sounds are appropriate.
It's not something you learn consciously. Only rarely do you need to make a conscious note of this. For example, when I learnt French, we learnt that you don't pronounce the /s/ in 'vous'. But we do if it's followed by 'avez', 'allez', etc. That's elision. These things occur in English too, but the way to learn is to listen to a lot of English, not to try and follow written transcriptions of word transitions. There are no elisions, etc. in the examples you've given.
(Naturally, some linguists are very interested in elisions and assimilations etc, but the average learner of English does not need to study this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.