Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

The purpose of this thread is to recommend the one book that you would consider as the standard book of English language.

My hope is to get a few suggestions of books I may find as reading materials to well spend some of my free time.

Thank you

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello Robert,
I'm afraid you won't fine one such book.

Different people will explain things differently and there are too many points that even natives don't agree on.

RobertT

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Australia
You have a point Barb_D.

However, for people who are versed in English, don't they have some sort of English books that they refer to and regard as acceptable in their own standards?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As a native speaker, I turn to different sources than you might.

I use a dictionary very often, not only for spelling, for to check hyphenation and read the usage notes. For example, the usage notes in Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online on continuous, continual, and constant have helped me when I can't keep them straight.

I use a thesaurus to help me find just the right word.

I use the AP Stylebook from time to time.

I turn frequently to the online writing center, the OWL, of Purdue University (Google OWL Purdue) for help not only in understanding concepts myself but also to give a good reference to an English learner.
[/list]

Rather than one book, you may consider visiting the OWL and exploring there a bit. It may end up helping you more than any other single source.

RobertT

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you Barb_D.

AP Stylebook and OWL Purdue seem to be seriously great resources for an English learner like myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.