Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Is "something" the same as "some things"? Similarly, is "manything" the same as "many things"?
If they are different from each other, then when do we use "something", "somethings"; "manything", "many things"?
Is "something" used as a plural or single noun? E.g: We often say: "There's something..." or "There are something..."?

Many thanks.

Dev

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is "something" the same as "some things"?
It is not the same. "Something" is singular and "some things" are plural.

There is one more possibility: "some thing." There is a difference in pronunciation between "something" and "some thing". In the first, "some" is the stressed syllable. In the second, usually "thing" is stressed.

Similarly, is "manything" the same as "many things"?
No. "Manything" is not a word.

If they are different from each other, then when do we use "something", "somethings"; "manything", "many things"?
You should never use "manything" because it isn't a word. Where did you hear or see that? "Anything" is a correct word, maybe that's what you had in mind?

Is "something" used as a plural or single noun? E.g: We often say: "There's something..."
This is correct.

or "There are something..."?
This is incorrect. You should say, "There are some things..."
BC

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
There is one more possibility: "some thing." There is a difference in pronunciation between "something" and "some thing". In the first, "some" is the stressed syllable. In the second, usually "thing" is stressed.

When do we use 'something' and when do we use 'some thing'? Could you give me some particular cases?

What's the difference between 'something' and 'some things' or 'some thing', by the way?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
When do we use 'something' and when do we use 'some thing'? Could you give me some particular cases?

What's the difference between 'something' and 'some things' or 'some thing', by the way?
I think the difference between "some thing" and "something" is the stress. We use "something" when we want to stress "some" and when we do not want to stress anything at all. We use "some thing" when we want to stress "thing".

We use "some things" when we are talking about many things.

I am not sure though if I'm telling you all there is to say about it. I hope someone who knows more about it is going to help us both.

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Hi,

e.g.

There is something wrong with him.
Something is going to happen tomorrow.

There are some things in that basket over there

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.