Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
I'm an Asian who moved to the US when I was 18 but had studied English in school before, so I was able to quickly pick up the language. Back then in college I often heard remarks from people that they were surprised at how good my English was, considering the short amount of time I had been here. It was very easy for me to express myself in English, both verbally and in writing. Now, 20 years later, all of a sudden I start losing my English speaking skill. Words become a lot harder to pronounce and I now have a "thicker" accent than before! Even my writing skill has become less efficient (it's taken me more than 10 minutes to type what I mean up to this line!). I'm getting so frustrated by this - I feel as if my English skill is being reset back to where I was when I first set foot on America!! I've been searching to see if this is related to any know medical disorder but haven't found anything on Google. Anyone knows anybody who went through the same experience? Or if you have any information to share on this, I would really appreciate it! Please help!!! Thank you!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could just be part of getting a bit older; my ability to fix words of a foreign language is not as good as it was twenty years ago, or ten for that matter.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It could just be part of getting a bit older; my ability to fix words of a foreign language is not as good as it was twenty years ago, or ten for that matter.
I fin d a silimar porlbelm when I writ my onw langauge. It didn,t happpen wehn I was yuonger.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, and there's the increase in size of the tip of the tongue where words so easily get lost. ;-)

syku

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Germany
Do you really mean "all of sudden" like in a matters of weeks or shorter you have lost your English skill? Or it occurs gradually in the course of 20 years? Have you been constantly using, reading and writing in English? Our brain is often smarter than us: it keeps and discards skills based on how often we use it rather than how badly our heart desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.