Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
a) Don't catch me in my words, I didn't mean to bash him. I was merely saying that...
b) Don't pick on my words, ...

Is b) correct? I mean, does it sound ok and is it actually used? Any other ways in which you can express the same idea?

syku

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Germany
To pick on is to criticize unfairly. To bash is to criticize severely. You seem to be saying, "Don't criticize my criticism of him...", which is a little odd. I'd say, "Don't over-interpret my words. I don't mean to criticize him severely..."

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
I just meant to ask if the phrase 'don't pick on my words' is actually correct

syku

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Germany
To pick on is to "single out" a person for blame. "To pick on my words" is not grammatically incorrect, but it doesn't make much sense to me without further elaboration. "Don't pick on me" is used more often.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Okay, thanks syku

Any other ways of telling somebody 'not to catch me in my words'?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't read more into this than what I actually said. Don't try to read between the lines.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Don't read more into this than what I actually said. Don't try to read between the lines.

Sometimes it's necessary to point out that someone is really trying sort of "catch" someone else's words, trying to attract the attention of others to some different meaning of what was said and so annoy the speaker. "Don't try to read between the lines" doesn't express this annoyance of the speaker. Perhaps, there is one more way to say that you are annoyed by the fact that someone is trying to "catch your words"?

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You could try any of these:

Don't try to catch me out
Don't try to trip me up
Don't (deliberately) misunderstand me
Don't misinterpret what I'm saying
Don't get me wrong

Or, to be diplomatic:

Perhaps I didn't express myself very well...

Take your pick!:)

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Sometimes it's necessary to point out that someone is really trying sort of "catch" someone else's words, trying to attract the attention of others to some different meaning of what was said and so annoy the speaker. "Don't try to read between the lines" doesn't express this annoyance of the speaker. Perhaps, there is one more way to say that you are annoyed by the fact that someone is trying to "catch your words"?

To me it sounds similar to Don't put words in my mouth. It can be use when someone takes part of what you've said, comes up with a different meaning, and then implies or outright says that it was what you meant. Usually the expression is said with some degree of annoyance because for the most part someone is trying to manipulate (vs misunderstand) what you are saying i.e. lawyers;-)

It is often followed with "I never said that", or "that's not what I meant" or "you're mixing my words around".

Catch, is used in reference to hearing something like "I didn't catch what he said."

Hope this helps (rather than confuses) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.