Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi,

I seem to be able to find applications online (through various threads on this site) yet I am struggling to find an application that can translate words into the phonetic symbols. Please forgive me if that's a bit of an impossibility but I am trying to make approximations from the phonetic alphabet but I can't be sure that it's correct. In a nutshell, I'm trying to note two pronunciations of the word Meerkat - one correct, one incorrect. I have come up with ‘mɘəkæt’ for the version which was pronounced incorrectly as 'Marecat'. Is this correct?

Many thanks in advance.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There probably is an [e] sound in Afrikaans (or wherever we borrowed it from*); and probably the second vowel is closer to a pure [a], unheard in any English word and unused in English phonology. In English a meerkat is just a /'mɪəkæt/ .

b

PS *Bingo ;-) OED:
Etymology: < South African Dutch meerkat (Afrikaans meerkat), transferred use of Dutch meerkat a long-tailed monkey of the family Cercopithecidae (see mercat n.).

The forms mier-cat, mier-kat, mierkat reflect the Afrikaans variant mierkat (with the first element altered by folk etymology after Afrikaans mier ant, termite).

(subscription, I'm afraid, so no link)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS For an English teacher from England and living in England, you certainly have a way with words ;-).Your last three sentences defy understanding. 'In a nutshell' you're looking for two things, one wrong and one right, but you call this 'trying to note'. Do you want one correctIPA transcription and one incorrect IPA transcription? I wonder why. You propose a transcription and then (correctly) give an incorrect reading. Then you ask if this is correct. I'm lost, though I think the tool Tdol mentions won't do what you want.

If what you want is a tool that takes as input a spelling and produces as output a phonetic transcription, I know of none. I think it's a practical impossibility. If it were theoretically possible, it would be prohibitively expensive. It might be possible to produce something that worked on the level of phonemes, but I don't think it's been done.

b

Hi,

I seem to be able to find applications online (through various threads on this site) yet I am struggling to find an application that can translate words into the phonetic symbols. Please forgive me if that's a bit of an impossibility but I am trying to make approximations from the phonetic alphabet but I can't be sure that it's correct. In a nutshell, I'm trying to note two pronunciations of the word Meerkat - one correct, one incorrect. I have come up with ‘mɘəkæt’ for the version which was pronounced incorrectly as 'Marecat'. Is this correct?

Many thanks in advance.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If what you want is a tool that takes as input a spelling and produces as output a phonetic transcription, I know of none. I think it's a practical impossibility. If it were theoretically possible, it would be prohibitively expensive. It might be possible to produce something that worked on the level of phonemes, but I don't think it's been done.

b
Tdol's link does exactly this. It's also free to download.
It doesn't necessarily get the transcription right; but it does take ordinary text as input and outputs a phonetic transcription in IPA.
I look at this application as being a first-pass tool. It will get a lot right and save time, but the transcription must be corrected by a human.
I wouldn't even think of using it to find out how a word is pronounced.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hasty skimming - I assumed the link was another. :oops:

b

PS Impressive. It nailed this easy one /ðə kwɪk braʊn fɒks dʒʌmps ˈəʊvə ðə ˈleɪzi dɒɡ/. But I don't expect it to pass a more rigorous examination. ;-)

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This one's slightly less easy, but it exercises a predictable and limited number of exceptions (not really exceptions when you think about it):

/ðə ˈθɪsl̩z ðət θɔːt ðeɪ ʃəd θwæk ðaɪ θaɪ /​

(I didn't expect it to manage 'thy thigh'.)

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This one's slightly less easy, but it exercises a predictable and limited number of exceptions (not really exceptions when you think about it):

/ðə ˈθɪsl̩z ðət θɔːt ðeɪ ʃəd θwæk ðaɪ θaɪ /​

(I didn't expect it to manage 'thy thigh'.)

b
I imagine that the n most common words are hard coded word by word.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I bow to the bowed bough. | aɪ baʊ tu ðə baʊd baʊ |
He has bowed legs | hi həz baʊd leɡz |
Has he bowed legs? | həz hi baʊd leɡz |
Mow the lawn | maʊ ðə lɔːn |
Row your boat | raʊ jə bəʊt | ; These should rhyme. It seems it doesn't handle 'ow' well.

You're here - Your hair. | hɪə <-> jə heə |
Has he? | həz hi |
It also doesn't handle stress variation for words like, 'has', which it gives as /hæz/ as an isolated word, but həz in sentences.

The apple, the book | ði ˈæpl̩ | ðə bʊk | It does handle the two 'the'.

So, it's a mixed bag at the moment, but quite impressive. It should be quite obvious to linguistics teachers if their students handed in an unedited transcription from this.

aclowes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well, after checking back through the responses that I have received from various members, I must say that I feel quite upset. Is there any need for you to respond in such a critical and offensive way BobK? I'm sorry if I didn't construct my post in a manner that you would have expected. I just wrote it in my way. I do live in England, yes, and have just started a CELTA course which I'm hoping will enable me to LEARN how to teach English to speakers of other languages. Based on your response BobK, maybe I should give up now.

Thanks to the other members who have attempted to answer my query in a kind and helpful way.

I shall change my member type to 'learner' immediately and make a note to look for other forums where people aren't out to ridicule and demean others.

PS For an English teacher from England and living in England, you certainly have a way with words ;-).Your last three sentences defy understanding. 'In a nutshell' you're looking for two things, one wrong and one right, but you call this 'trying to note'. Do you want one correctIPA transcription and one incorrect IPA transcription? I wonder why. You propose a transcription and then (correctly) give an incorrect reading. Then you ask if this is correct. I'm lost, though I think the tool Tdol mentions won't do what you want.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I apologize :oops: Don't give up ;-) I just couldn't make out what you meant and wondered about your status. It's not easy to ask that sort of question diplomatically, and I know I've got a lot to learn in that department.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.