Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. jessica.permatasari's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 22
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Cool How beautiful she is!

    Could you tell me which one the correct answer is?

    William and Bryan is attending Grace's wedding party. Grace looks beautiful wearing the wedding dress. Everyone admires her.

    a. How pretty Grace is.
    b. How wonderful Grace is wearing the dress.

    Which statement is best?
    Could you tell me the reason?

    Thanks a bunch. ^.^

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 8
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: How beautiful she is!

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica.permatasari View Post
    Could you tell me which one the correct answer is?

    William and Bryan is attending Grace's wedding party. Grace looks beautiful wearing the wedding dress. Everyone admires her.

    a. How pretty Grace is.
    b. How wonderful Grace is wearing the dress.

    Which statement is best?
    Could you tell me the reason?

    Thanks a bunch. ^.^
    Look how pretty Grace is.
    How pretty Grace is
    Grace looks so pretty.

    How wonderfully Grace is wearing the dress!
    How wonderful Grace is wearing the dress!

    Grace really cuts a fine figure in her dress.

  2. jessica.permatasari's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 22
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Thumbs up Re: How beautiful she is!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bbe7w View Post
    Look how pretty Grace is.
    How pretty Grace is
    Grace looks so pretty.

    How wonderfully Grace is wearing the dress!
    How wonderful Grace is wearing the dress!

    Grace really cuts a fine figure in her dress.
    Thanks a lot for the explanation...
    "How wonderfully Grace is wearing the dress! "
    I can notice that in this sentence we need to use adverb instead of adjective. ^^, Great! I get it.. ^^,

    However, I found that question in the National Examination in my country. The choices are only what I wrote above. So, which one should be the answer?
    I can't decide the answer, because I see from your explanation, neither of them is correct.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: How beautiful she is!

    No; Bbe7w is wrong. There is nothing wrong at all with How pretty Grace is ; it can be used as an exclamation.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: How beautiful she is!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    No; Bbe7w is wrong. There is nothing wrong at all with How pretty Grace is ; it can be used as an exclamation.
    I agree.

    However, national examination or not, "William and Bryan is attending Grace's wedding party" is incorrect. The verb must be 'are'.

    Also:


    How wonderfully Grace is wearing the dress! - A very unnatural sentence.
    How wonderful Grace is wearing the dress! - No.
    Grace really cuts a fine figure in her dress. - Rather formal and/or old-fashioned, in my opinion.

  4. jessica.permatasari's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 22
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: How beautiful she is!

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I agree.

    However, national examination or not, "William and Bryan is attending Grace's wedding party" is incorrect. The verb must be 'are'.

    Also:


    How wonderfully Grace is wearing the dress! - A very unnatural sentence.
    How wonderful Grace is wearing the dress! - No.
    Grace really cuts a fine figure in her dress. - Rather formal and/or old-fashioned, in my opinion.

    Well, I just realized that that sentence use the wrong "to be". Thanks for that.

    If you say "How wonderful Grace is wearing the dress" is not correct, what is the reason?
    I agreed that it's not correct, however, I need to explain the reason to the students.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 233
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: How beautiful she is!

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica.permatasari View Post
    William and Bryan are attending Grace's wedding party.
    Not a teacher

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: How beautiful she is!

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica.permatasari View Post
    If you say "How wonderful Grace is wearing the dress" is not correct, what is the reason?
    How pretty Grace is.
    How wonderful Grace is.


    The order for the exclamation is: How + adjective + noun + BE.

    Whilst we can have How + adverb + noun + verb, as in:

    How sweetly Grace is singing,
    How wonderfully Grace is playing the cello,

    as I have already written, the following sounds unnatural (simply because one doesnt normally 'wear' something 'wonderfully'):

    How wonderfully Grace is wearing the dress!

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: How beautiful she is!

    I think it's more a problem of semantics than syntax.
    There is a context for "How wonderful Grace is, wearing that dress".

    You can say, "How wonderful Grace looks wearing that dress". But just wearing the dress doesn't make her wonderful, though it could make her look wonderful.
    You can say "How wonderful Grace is giving her time to charity". (Whether the commas after 'is' is necessary is another issue.)
    SImilarly, "How splendid the sun looks[,] setting over the ocean".

    Suppose that Grace's sister Faith has made a dress for Grace. It's not the best dress that Grace could have worn, but she wore it to make her sister happy. You can say, "How wonderful Grace is, wearing that dress" - meaning that she is kind, not that she looks good in it.

  7. jessica.permatasari's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 22
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: How beautiful she is!

    Quote Originally Posted by allenman View Post
    Not a teacher

    WELL, THANKS ANYWAY

Similar Threads

  1. very beautiful
    By vredes in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-Feb-2010, 16:27
  2. Beautiful though this is
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Aug-2008, 02:16
  3. were beautiful
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2008, 21:00
  4. You are beautiful
    By Nefertiti in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2007, 07:15
  5. beautiful
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Jun-2007, 14:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •