Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Belgium
Hi, everyone.
I'm a new comer here who is wondering about CELTA course.
I'm not really prepared yet to apply the course yet, however I'd like to know where would be the best place to take the course in Europe for a non-native speaker. Moreover, when it is said that applicants need to have advance in both spoken and written english, what score it would be if I take IELTS exam.

Thanks in advance.
I'm quite sure that I'll be regular on this web site..:-D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As a non-native speaker, it might be beneficial to do it in an English-speaking country to maximise the potential to learn the language while doing it and may look better on your CV, but as long as you check the place out carefully first, there shouldn't be too much difference. I have seen different grades suggested for IELTS, but 8 or 7.5 are often suggested- this could depend on the context in which the person wished to teach.

elysiakim

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Belgium
Thank you for your advise.
Why I considered about taking CELTA course in non-English-country is because that I thought it would be easier to finish the course.
Perhaps what I thought was wrong.;-)
However, I am still a bit worried of competing with native speakers during the course.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Plenty of others have done it and survived the experience. ;-)

ARUK2008

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Dear Ely

You shouldn't worry about "competing" against native speakers. This course is meant to teach you HOW to teach. You'll be dealing with tons of teaching techniques which I realized -later on- non native and native speakers don't know and you will see both parties involved sharing almost the same problematic issues regarding teaching techniques, classroom management, lesson planning, etc.

I had 1 native speaker in my group whose teaching techniques were rather dull and he ended up -like me- with a PASS. You wonder about my PASS: well, serious difficulties when giving instructions. :-(

Good luck and enjoy the course.

david151

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The hardest thing about CELTA is getting accepted onto a course. The recruitment process is extremely tough, as I was rejected by 2 institutes (despite being a native speaking and having a first class degree in law.)

I finally completed my CELTA last month and was awarded a B pass. So from my experience if you can make it through the selection process you should be able to fly.

In all honesty I think the selection process is over the top. The CELTA course is not easy, but in my opinion any reasonably intelligent person can learn the necessary grammar rules etc. as the course progresses. I don’t see why a native speaker with a first class degree should be deemed unsuitable for the course because their knowledge of grammar theory is limited. Throughout the course you get many input sessions on grammar etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.