Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

I have a question pertaining to everyday vocabulary, more specifically, to the term used by native speakers of English to refer to the 'conventional', cable network-connected telephone, as opposite to the 'mobile' or 'cellphone'.

Most people here in Poland use the adjective 'stationary' (probably as opposite to 'mobile'), but I don't think that's the case among native English speakers.

Regards,
Tomasz

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Landline phone could be one of the possible answers, I guess.

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Oh, thanks, engee30, how nice :) I must admit I've never come across the term 'landline', and that's likely the word I was looking for.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Oh, thanks, engee30, how nice :) I must admit I've never come across the term 'landline', and that's likely the word I was looking for.

You're welcome. :-D
Actually, you can just say a landline because the term is also used without the noun phone.
My landlord would keep telling me that I couldn't use the landline unless I paid for any outgoing calls in advance. :)

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Landline phone could be one of the possible answers, I guess.
That (landline) is the correct technical term here in the US as well.

Not a teacher

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Incidentally, Polish landlines may all have cable connections, a word that in Br English refers to coaxial cable (the sort that connects a TV to the aerial), but some British houses still have a telephone that uses a twisted-pair copper connection. Hundreds of these are twisted together to make a thing that is correctly called a cable, but a 'cable connection' is coaxial: http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXuxWFV-jF5vFr0C9LCI8zi0RoL_Ld7qXPdrPU1QtBqKVM2m8-pg. (One of the things slowing down the implementation of fast networks in the UK is what is called 'the last mile'; network companies can build super-fast networks with cable and glass fibre and satellite links and good stuff like that, but the telephone signal has to be stepped down to the speed of a twisted pair to get from the road into the house.)

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Actually, you can just say a landline because the term is also used without the noun phone.
Indeed. The word landline appears to be far more common without the following phone.

Last edited:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Indeed. The word landline appears to be far more commonly without the following phone.

May I humbly suggest:

Indeed. The word landline appears to be far more common[STRIKE]ly[/STRIKE] without the following phone.

Indeed. The word landline appears to [STRIKE]be [/STRIKE] appear far more commonly without the following phone.

Or am I missing a point in you sentence? :-o

Greetings,

Charliedeut

Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Indeed. The word landline appears to be far more common[STRIKE]ly[/STRIKE] without the following phone.

Or am I missing a point in you sentence? :-o
Indeed you are not. I deleted the word 'used' and forgot to delete the 'ly', leaving an ugly mistake:oops:. Thanks for spotting it. I am now going to delete it to prevent further embarrassment.

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Lots of interesting remarks here... All are greatly appreciated :)

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
I've come across the term 'fixed line' somewhere... Is it used to talk about landlines?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.