Proofread MBA admsn essay: Describe an ethical dilemma you have experienced firsthand

Status
Not open for further replies.

bspkumar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi All, I am posting one of my draft essays for MBA admission. Please check for the errors and let me know the modifications required. I have only 15 hours left to submit it online. Thank you.

Describe an ethical dilemma you have experienced firsthand. Discuss how you thought about and managed the situation. (300 words)

I have faced with an ethical dilemma when I was working as an IT Support Executive for XYZ Company. The work involves resolving the technical issues related to HP customers. One day a customer contacted us for support. He was not able to log into his notebook, and he needs to give a business presentation the next day. Unfortunately, the warranty of the PC expired just one day before. As per the process rules, I have informed (unwillingly) the customer that we were unable to help him in this situation and regretted for the same. But the customer is in desperate need of help. He started arguing. He said, “ I have been using HP products for more than 8 years. Is this the solution a loyal customer deserves?” I understood his frustration and thought that I would feel the same if I were in his position. I am quite sure that I can resolve the issue with simple troubleshooting steps, but couldn’t decide what to do. I asked myself, “Shall I abide by the process rules or shall I help him violating the rules?” This is the dilemma.

I still remember the motivational quotes, “put yourself into customer shoes” and “It takes years to win a customer and only seconds to lose one” told me during the training. When I asked my team leader for solution, he replied, “Just follow the process rules.” Not satisfied with the answer, I contemplated for a while and decided to help the customer. I negotiated with my team leader and explained how helping the customer will help HP; satisfied customers will recommend HP to others which improves the brand value. At last, my team leader agreed to assist the customer. I have successfully resolved the issue and customer was very happy.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Hi bsp. I hope this edit helps.

I was faced with an ethical dilemma when I was working as an IT Support Executive for XYZ Company. The work involved resolving the technical issues related to HP customers. One day a customer contacted us for support. He was not able to log into his notebook and he needed to give a business presentation the next day. Unfortunately, the warranty for the PC had expired just one day before. As per the process rules, I (unwillingly) informed the customer that, with much regret, we were unable to help him in this situation. But the customer was in desperate need of help and started arguing. He said, “I have been using HP products for more than 8 years. Is this the solution a loyal customer deserves?” I understood his frustration and thought that I would feel the same if I were in his position. I was quite sure that I could resolve the issue with simple troubleshooting steps but couldn’t decide what to do. I asked myself, “Shall I abide by the process rules or shall I help him, violating the rules?” This was the dilemma.

I still remember the motivational quotes told to me during training; “Put yourself in the customer's shoes”, “It takes years to win a customer and only seconds to lose one”. When I asked my team leader for a solution he replied, “Just follow the process rules.” Not satisfied with the answer, I contemplated for a while and decided to help the customer. I negotiated with my team leader and explained how helping the customer would help HP, that satisfied customers will recommend HP to others which improves the brand value. At last, my team leader agreed to assist the customer. I had successfully resolved the issue and the customer was very happy.

bspkumar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you very much! JMurray.

I've observed that I am doing simple and known mistakes. Like, using past perfect tense instead of past, and using present tense instead of past. It is due to the time constraint. I got the call letter very lately. Got the call letter just 4 days before the date of submission of essays. I have written these essays in less time, less than half an hour for each essay. I am quite busy with my work these days.

I'll post another 3 essays within 2 hours. I don't have much time to write these essays. I request (beg) you to edit these essays too. I have 6 hours left to submit the essays. Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.