[General] what is the meaning of "aware of one's tongue"? "ego shrapnel"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokbon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi
Monica: You could do that!

Chandler: Y'think?

All: Yeah!

Chandler: Oh God, I can't believe I'm even considering this... I'm very very aware of my tongue...

Ross: C'mon! C'mon! Stand back everyone, incoming ego shrapnel.
(source: Friends Season1 Ep6)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I know literal meaning of "aware of one's tongue".

but I don't know when to use...like there's another meaning..

is this related to a nervous feeling?

or what else expressions can be used?

2. what is the meaning of "ego shrapnel"?

is that mean...that someone gets embarrassed?

Last edited:

azcl

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: what is the meaning of "aware of one's tongue"? "ego shrapnel"?

***Not a teacher***

I haven't actually seen this episode of Friends, so I cannot be totally sure, but this is what I would guess from the little context there is....

Chandler saying "I'm very very aware of my tongue..." probably means "I know how often I get my self into trouble by saying stupid or embarrassing things". So if the context in the episode is that people are trying to get Chandler to get up and say something, make a speech or something like that, then this is the most likely meaning. There are other possible meanings though, but I would need to know a bit more about what they are trying to encourage Chandler to do before I could comment on that.

'ego shrapnel' is not a term I have ever heard before, and I assume the writers of Friends have made it up. Shrapnel refers to fragments of a shell or bomb which can cause injury when the bomb explodes. Ego (in very simple terms in this context) is referring to self-esteem. So I assume Ross is saying to everybody "Look everyone, Chandler is going to make an idiot of himself, his self-esteem is going explode (be destroyed) and blown into little pieces (shrapnel)".

As I said earlier, these are only guesses as it is quite difficult to be more sure without more detail of the context.

Ade

mokbon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

Chandler saying "I'm very very aware of my tongue..." probably means "I know how often I get my self into trouble by saying stupid or embarrassing things".

:up:Thanks for your help

I guess to know "trouble by saying stupid or embarrassing things" is worrying or nervous, is this right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

So I assume Ross is saying to everybody "Look everyone, Chandler is going to make an idiot of himself, his self-esteem is going explode (be destroyed) and blown into little pieces (shrapnel)".

As I said earlier, these are only guesses as it is quite difficult to be more sure without more detail of the context.
I, too, am only guessing. An alternative idea is:

"Look out, everyone, Chandler is about to embark on an ego-trip (presenting an analysis ofhimself). We will get injured by the stream of words(shrapnel) pouring from his mouth."

Status
Not open for further replies.