Is texting / internet English the new English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sar_bear

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi all,

I am a post grad student in TESOL and doing research on my thesis paper.

I want to know your experience as teachers, what do you think of the commonly usage of texting/ internet language esp. by the younger generations.

And how this affect the English language learning in class in regarding to the student's skill whether writing or communication.

Do you think it has made an impact in language learning?

Pls keep in mind that language is a fluid medium. I mean the old English is not applicable in today's English. Do you think sooner or later this will apply to our present English?

It is interesting to hear from all of the teachers what's their point of view in this matter.

Any thoughts and debate on this topic is welcome.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'll just give you my thoughts on one of your questions.
Pls keep in mind that language is a fluid medium. I mean the old English is not applicable in today's English. Do you think sooner or later this will apply to our present English?
Yes.

I have seeen a considerable change in my lifetime, and I frequently read complaints from people my age (mid-60s) about the 'dumbing-down' of language. People have been making similar complaints for over four hundred years, and will doubtless continue to do so. The language still changed, and will continue to do so.

I would not be surprised if such forms as , for example, wanna, gonna, gotta and oughta (for want to, going to, [have] got to and ought to) were one day accepted as written forms in even formal English.

By the way, pls is still not approved of in this forum - yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.