Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear teachers.
Coud somebody tell me the difference between boyfriend/girlfriend and sweetheart?
Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sweetheart is what lovers call each other in moments of intimacy and tenderness.

'She's my girlfriend' is how you would introduce her to a friend.

Rover

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A boyfriend or girlfriend can be a sweetheart, but a sweetheart can't be just a "friend." "Sweetheart" indicates a romantic relationship. Sometimes boyfriend or girlfriend also indicates a romantic relationship, but not necessarily always. (If you think it's confusing in terms of language, it's 100% more confusing being in a situation where you're a girl/boy friend and not sure whether you're also a sweetheart.... :turn-l: )

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Parents can also call their children (usually the little girls) 'sweetheart'. Even matronly women can call other little girls "sweetheart" on occasion.
I know someone who often refers to his cat as 'sweetheart' or 'sweetie'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And you can still be a sweetheart when married.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And you can still be a sweetheart when married.

This is very true. Quick anecdote: Mr. Ouisch and I have always addressed one another as "Sweetheart" or "Sweetie", but I'd *thought* that we only did that in private. Apparently it became more habitual than I'd realized. During a visit with Mr. Ouisch's father a few years ago, he presented us with a gift. My father-in-law has been collecting bottles of all types for decades and has an extensive and valuable collection. During one of his scavenging trips he found two empty bottles of a long-discontinued, local soda pop brand called "Sweetie." He handed the bottles to me and grunted gruffly (in his very Southern accent) "I thought of y'all when I saw these, seeing as you don't seem to have names anymore other than 'Sweetie'...." :oops:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Status
Not open for further replies.