HElP! tesol certified, does it count as CELTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrypreston

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have recently done a TEFL course in Thailand , it was a one month course. On my certificate it says TEFL/TESOL course, but does this count as a CELTA, it does have right at the bottom of the cert an accreditation number and cambridge international exam centre number. I am so confused thanks for any advice or help you could give me

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have recently done a TEFL course in Thailand , it was a one month course. On my certificate it says TEFL/TESOL course, but does this count as a CELTA, it does have right at the bottom of the cert an accreditation number and cambridge international exam centre number. I am so confused thanks for any advice or help you could give me
The CELTA is the Certificate in English Language to Adults, awarded by Cambridge ESOL, part of the University of Cambridge. Your certificate does not sound like that to me,

The centre that trained you may be an authorised examination centre for Cambridge exams. That is something different - it doesn't make their TEFL/TESOL certificate a CELTA.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Who did you do the course with?

If it's not a CELTA, it might be regarded as equivalent to it by some employers, but a lot depends on the course.

harrypreston

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I did the course with The British School of Samui. I think your right its the equivalent to CELTA but not actually it. Didn't want to claim I had CElTA cert on my cv if it wasn't. Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
According to that school's website,

"The course includes:
arrows.gif
120 hours training
arrows.gif
A minimum of 6 observed teaching hours but up to an optional 12 hours"

Don't forget to mention this, that is the 120 hours of training and the actual number of observed teaching hours you had, in your applications

Prospective employers can then see that it is not some worthless weekend course or an internet course without any teaching practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.