Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Dear teachers...

Could you please proofread this text below?

Lisa: I want you to know that I can’t put up with that lady friend of yours, Barb, isn’t it?
Tom: Yes, her name’s Barbara. She can get a bit cocky and loquacious when she drinks. But we have to give her some extra, she’s been through some tough times since her fiancé, a meth-head, left her and the kids.
Lisa: I don’t give a damn, please, do me a favour, keep that tart away from me!
Tom: What? Watch your mouth, you don’t have many friends to start insulting them.
Lisa: You know what, I’m going to take off, now that I have been completely put out by you, this is no place for me anymore!
Tom: Yeah, you’d better leave… and put in mind that you have no say on who I should be friends with!
Thanks in advance

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Hi Offroad. This is in quite slangy English so every editor will have a different opinion, especially about the vocabulary. For example, Lisa's parting words could be expressed in a lot of ways, my version just sounds right to me according to the tone of the conversation. But it might not sound quite right to English speakers of a different background. And of course I don't know the background of Lisa and Tom. A US editor might work better for you but I hope this is of some help.

Lisa: I want you to know that I can’t stand that lady friend of yours Barb, isn’t it?
Tom: Yes, her name’s Barbara. She can get a bit cocky and talkative when she drinks. But we have to give her a break, she’s been through some tough times since her meth-head fiancé left her and the kids.
Lisa: I don’t give a damn, please do me a favour and keep that tart away from me!
Tom: What? Watch your mouth, you don’t have so many friends you can start insulting them.
Lisa: You know what, I’m going, you totally piss me off and this is no place for me anymore!
Tom: Yeah, you’d better leave… and keep in mind (or remember) that you have no say in who I should be friends with!

Status
Not open for further replies.