Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: mobile

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 50
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    mobile

    Hi,
    there is a couple of expressions which I use in my language and I'd like to know if there's an equivalent in English.
    One is when you agree to phone somebody and let the mobile phone ring two or three times and then hang up. This helps you let the others know something (e.g. that you are waiting for them downstairs) without incurring into any phone expenses. We say in Spanish "hacer una (llamada) perdida". How do you say that in English?
    A second question is when you have an incoming phone call, you see the name on the display and you decide for whatever reason not to answer. To stop the phone ringing you just press the red button. Germans say "jemanden wegdrücken", and I'd like to know if there is an English equivalent.
    Thanks

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 203
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: mobile

    Hello,

    Not to my knowledge of Br. English.

    Regards

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: mobile

    Quote Originally Posted by ophiuchus View Post
    Hi,
    there is a couple of expressions which I use in my language and I'd like to know if there's an equivalent in English.
    One is when you agree to phone somebody and let the mobile phone ring two or three times and then hang up. This helps you let the others know something (e.g. that you are waiting for them downstairs) without incurring into any phone expenses. We say in Spanish "hacer una (llamada) perdida". How do you say that in English?
    A second question is when you have an incoming phone call, you see the name on the display and you decide for whatever reason not to answer. To stop the phone ringing you just press the red button. Germans say "jemanden wegdrücken", and I'd like to know if there is an English equivalent.
    Thanks
    I can't think of specific cognate terms.
    For 1, I'd say it was an agreed signal. "That's our signal".
    2. You say "I screen my calls"; but there's no term to describe someone who you've just screened out.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 50
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: mobile

    Thank you both.
    Just one more question. In case I decided not to answer somebody on the phone because I'm, say, in a meeting, could I then apologize later by saying: Sorry that I screened you out? Would that make sense?
    Thanks again

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 340
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: mobile

    *** NOT A TEACHER ***

    Quote Originally Posted by ophiuchus View Post
    In case I decided not to answer somebody on the phone because I'm, say, in a meeting, could I then apologize later by saying: Sorry that I screened you out?

    How about: I'm sorry to have rejected your call?

    Quote Originally Posted by ophiuchus View Post
    A second question is when you have an incoming phone call, you see the name on the display and you decide for whatever reason not to answer. To stop the phone ringing you just press the red button. Germans say "jemanden wegdrücken", and I'd like to know if there is an English equivalent.
    See above. (Reject a call) Maybe "dismiss a call" also works.

  2. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: mobile

    For the first situation. Raymott gave a suggestion. Ofcourse I am not a native speaker of English. But in Iran we say "missed call bezan" which means "do a missed call" (as a signal). I don't know what English-speaking people say in such situations and it is strange if they have no exact phrase for it, perhaps they do not send such signals to each other! but perhaps making a phrase out of "missed call" which is well-known in mobile technical language is acceptable.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: mobile

    As Richard and Raymott, both native speakers, have suggested, there appears to be no specific term in English. I certainly can't think of one.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: mobile

    Quote Originally Posted by ophiuchus View Post
    Thank you both.
    Just one more question. In case I decided not to answer somebody on the phone because I'm, say, in a meeting, could I then apologize later by saying: Sorry that I screened you out? Would that make sense?
    Thanks again
    You could say that, and it might be understood.
    I'd say, "Sorry I couldn't take your call. I was in a meeting; I'm not trying to avoid you ..."

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 5
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: mobile

    Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    For the first situation. Raymott gave a suggestion. Ofcourse I am not a native speaker of English. But in Iran we say "missed call bezan" which means "do a missed call" (as a signal). I don't know what English-speaking people say in such situations and it is strange if they have no exact phrase for it, perhaps they do not send such signals to each other! but perhaps making a phrase out of "missed call" which is well-known in mobile technical language is acceptable.
    Well, it's not "missed call bezan", but we usually use something like "takzang" or single beep. "a signal" seems proper but unfortunately not the exact equivalent term.

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,086
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: mobile

    "Give a miss(ed) call" is very common in Indian English.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. mobile
    By lauraguan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Apr-2009, 04:02
  2. mobile box
    By unpakwon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Jan-2009, 13:18
  3. mobile phone
    By SMARTEYES in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-May-2008, 12:59
  4. Mobile Phones
    By donicka in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-Jan-2008, 14:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •