Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I said, way back in Post #7. "As Richard and Raymott, both native speakers, have suggested, there appears to be no specific term in English. I certainly can't think of one. "
progress.gif
That's two speakers of BrE and one of AusE. Barb, a speaker of AmE, appears to have joined us.

It may well be that Indian English has expressions for this, but unless somebody who knows writes in, I think we'll have to accept that we haven't in those first three dialects.

We can make suggestions till the cows come home, but they are of little value unless we know that people actually use them.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
you should read it as "missedcall" and not "missed call". Here "missed" is not an adjective but "missedcall" is a compound noun which has been coined for this particular reason.
I don't think so.
"Missed" is not a noun; it is an adjective. Can you give any examples of this construction in real English? - that is, a single word noun formed by the combination of a participial adjective and a noun?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
NOT A TEACHER.

For no. 2, "to cut someone off" might work.

Susan612

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know a specific phrase for the first situation, but for the second I would say I ignored the call. In fact, my phone gives the option to answer or ignore a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.