Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
there is a couple of expressions which I use in my language and I'd like to know if there's an equivalent in English.
One is when you agree to phone somebody and let the mobile phone ring two or three times and then hang up. This helps you let the others know something (e.g. that you are waiting for them downstairs) without incurring into any phone expenses. We say in Spanish "hacer una (llamada) perdida". How do you say that in English?
A second question is when you have an incoming phone call, you see the name on the display and you decide for whatever reason not to answer. To stop the phone ringing you just press the red button. Germans say "jemanden wegdrücken", and I'd like to know if there is an English equivalent.
Thanks

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello,

Not to my knowledge of Br. English.

Regards

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,
there is a couple of expressions which I use in my language and I'd like to know if there's an equivalent in English.
One is when you agree to phone somebody and let the mobile phone ring two or three times and then hang up. This helps you let the others know something (e.g. that you are waiting for them downstairs) without incurring into any phone expenses. We say in Spanish "hacer una (llamada) perdida". How do you say that in English?
A second question is when you have an incoming phone call, you see the name on the display and you decide for whatever reason not to answer. To stop the phone ringing you just press the red button. Germans say "jemanden wegdrücken", and I'd like to know if there is an English equivalent.
Thanks
I can't think of specific cognate terms.
For 1, I'd say it was an agreed signal. "That's our signal".
2. You say "I screen my calls"; but there's no term to describe someone who you've just screened out.

ophiuchus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thank you both.
Just one more question. In case I decided not to answer somebody on the phone because I'm, say, in a meeting, could I then apologize later by saying: Sorry that I screened you out? Would that make sense?
Thanks again

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
*** NOT A TEACHER ***

In case I decided not to answer somebody on the phone because I'm, say, in a meeting, could I then apologize later by saying: Sorry that I screened you out?

How about: I'm sorry to have rejected your call?

See above. :) (Reject a call) Maybe "dismiss a call" also works.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
For the first situation. Raymott gave a suggestion. Ofcourse I am not a native speaker of English. But in Iran we say "missed call bezan" which means "do a missed call" (as a signal). I don't know what English-speaking people say in such situations and it is strange if they have no exact phrase for it, perhaps they do not send such signals to each other! but perhaps making a phrase out of "missed call" which is well-known in mobile technical language is acceptable.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As Richard and Raymott, both native speakers, have suggested, there appears to be no specific term in English. I certainly can't think of one.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you both.
Just one more question. In case I decided not to answer somebody on the phone because I'm, say, in a meeting, could I then apologize later by saying: Sorry that I screened you out? Would that make sense?
Thanks again
You could say that, and it might be understood.
I'd say, "Sorry I couldn't take your call. I was in a meeting; I'm not trying to avoid you ..."

farhadhamed

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
For the first situation. Raymott gave a suggestion. Ofcourse I am not a native speaker of English. But in Iran we say "missed call bezan" which means "do a missed call" (as a signal). I don't know what English-speaking people say in such situations and it is strange if they have no exact phrase for it, perhaps they do not send such signals to each other! but perhaps making a phrase out of "missed call" which is well-known in mobile technical language is acceptable.

Well, it's not "missed call bezan", but we usually use something like "takzang" or single beep. "a signal" seems proper but unfortunately not the exact equivalent term.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Give a miss(ed) call" is very common in Indian English.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
India has the second largest number of English speakers in the world after the USA, around 200 million. This only represents about 20% of the population of India but it's a lot of people.

ophiuchus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thank you all.:-D

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can understand the usefulness of having such a phrase, but (like a lot of English) it's not logical to me say "Give me a missed call." It's not missed until I choose not to answer it. Give me a call and I won't pick up, which then makes it an ignored call, not a missed one... but I wouldn't be surprised to see it move into the mainstream. I can't say I've ever heard it here.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I believe 'Please, beep me' would be widely understood, 'Give me a missed call' not so much!:roll:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe 'Please, beep me' would be widely understood,

Not by me. Back in the old days, pagers were called beepers by some. I would never connect your suggestion to the idea of a deliberately unanswered phone call.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Not by me. Back in the old days, pagers were called beepers by some. I would never connect your suggestion to the idea of a deliberately unanswered phone call.
What about this?

Please, beep me on my cell/mobile phone then I will call you back as soon as possible!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, I would still be thinking that you wanted to page me on my phone and wonder how that was possible.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I can understand the usefulness of having such a phrase, but (like a lot of English) it's not logical to me say "Give me a missed call." It's not missed until I choose not to answer it. ...

you should read it as "missedcall" and not "missed call". Here "missed" is not an adjective but "missedcall" is a compound noun which has been coined for this particular reason.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
you should read it as "missedcall" and not "missed call". Here "missed" is not an adjective but "missedcall" is a compound noun which has been coined for this particular reason.

That's a new one for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.