Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"At least 13 people have died and scores were injured, most over the last two days when Mubarak loyalists launched a counter-revolution on pro-democracy protesters."

OR

"At least 13 people have died and scores have been injured, most over the last two days when Mubarak loyalists launched a counter-revolution on pro-democracy protesters."

Which one is better with "were injured" or "have been injured"?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"At least 13 people have died and scores were injured, most over the last two days when Mubarak loyalists launched a counter-revolution on pro-democracy protesters."

OR

"At least 13 people have died and scores have been injured, most over the last two days when Mubarak loyalists launched a counter-revolution on pro-democracy protesters."

OR

'At least 13 people died and scores were injured, most..............'

Which one is better with "were injured" or "have been injured"?
You could use any of the three.
I prefer the last one. It has the simplest tense and matching tenses, if you care about matching tenses.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
You could use any of the three.
I prefer the last one. It has the simplest tense and matching tenses, if you care about matching tenses.

1) and 2) are grammatically incorrect? I got them off the web.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1) and 2) are grammatically incorrect? I got them off the web.
Would 2006 have said that you could use any of the three if he thought two of them were incorrect?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Would 2006 have said that you could use any of the three if he thought two of them were incorrect?

Sorry 2006.! Hope no hard feelings taken. What confused first was "if care about matching tenses."

Last edited:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Sorry 2006.! Hope no hard feelings taken. What confused first was "if care about matching tenses.
What I mean is that some people prefer matching tenses when it is possible to do so. I don't think one has to match tenses, but people who like to match tenses probably will prefer the second or third choices.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1) and 2) are grammatically incorrect?
The above is not a correct English question. Correct English questions almost always begin with a question word.

Below is a proper question.

Are 1) and 2) grammatically incorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies.