Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 2
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Smile Active sentences into personal passives

    Hi! I was studying how to change a normal active sentence into a personal passive one (where possible). The sentence I'm not sure was:

    While I was visiting Pike Place Market, someone threw a fish at me!

    I tryed

    While I was visiting Pike Place Market, a fish was thrown by someone at me.
    While I was visiting Pike Place Market, a fish was thrown at me by someone.

    Could someone give me a hint if some of these are right? And if possible, i didn't understand how is not possible to change a active sentence into a personal passive. Someone has a counterexample?

    I appreciate your comments.

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Active sentences into personal passives

    Quote Originally Posted by gintoki14m View Post
    While I was visiting Pike Place Market, someone threw a fish at me!

    I tryied

    1. While I was visiting Pike Place Market, a fish was thrown by someone at me.
    2. While I was visiting Pike Place Market, a fish was thrown at me by someone.

    #2 is more natural. #3, below, is even more natural:

    While I was visiting Pike Place Market, a fish was thrown at me.


    #Could someone give me a hint if some of these are right? And if possible, iI (didn't) don't understand how it is not possible to change an active sentence into a personal passive. Someone has a counterexample?
    What do you mean by 'personal passive?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 2
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Active sentences into personal passives

    Thanks for the corrections! When I say Personal Passive i mean that the object of the active sentence becomes the subject of the passive sentence. Just to be different of the Impersonal Passive and other types of Passive.

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,848
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Active sentences into personal passives

    Quote Originally Posted by gintoki14m View Post
    Thanks for the corrections! When I say Personal Passive i mean that the object of the active sentence becomes the subject of the passive sentence. Just to be different of the Impersonal Passive and other types of Passive.
    ♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
    ...I was thrown a fish at (by someone). but such an utterance is not common, if not impossible.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Active sentences into personal passives

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    ♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
    ...I was thrown a fish at (by someone). but such an utterance is not common, if not impossible.
    It is, indeed, impossible.

    We can, however, have, 'I was thrown a fish', where the active equivalent is 'X threw me a fish'.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Lightbulb Re: Active sentences into personal passives

    Quote Originally Posted by gintoki14m View Post
    Hi! I was studying how to change a normal active sentence into a personal passive one (where possible). The sentence I'm not sure was:

    While I was visiting Pike Place Market, someone threw a fish at me!

    I tryed

    While I was visiting Pike Place Market, a fish was thrown by someone at me.
    While I was visiting Pike Place Market, a fish was thrown at me by someone.

    Could someone give me a hint if some of these are right? And if possible, i didn't understand how is not possible to change a active sentence into a personal passive. Someone has a counterexample?

    I appreciate your comments.

    "A fish was thrown at me while I was visiting Pike Place Market."
    This could be a possible answer.
    (Subject to opinions)

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Active sentences into personal passives

    Quote Originally Posted by slim-shen View Post
    "A fish was thrown at me while I was visiting Pike Place Market."
    This could be a possible answer.
    That's the suggestion I made in post #2 - well, it is if you change the order of the clauses.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] active or not
    By am-ta in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2010, 19:14
  2. Adjectival Passives
    By goober in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2010, 12:42
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-Dec-2005, 05:12
  4. passives
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2003, 14:54
  5. Active and Passive sentences
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Feb-2003, 22:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •