• Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

The events in Egypt

I would like to know if the following paragraph is grammatically correct. Thank you.

At this point in time, it seems that the Egyptian regime can impose law and order on the country. Members of the security services as well as soldiers, either in uniform or in civilian clothes, were called, to the last one, to protect the regime from the anger of the masses. In several cases the security services opened fire into the protesters and some were killed. The masses did not make do only with demonstrating against Mubark and bequeathing power to his son, but expressed their anger by burning cars, breaking into businesses and destroying "indecent" street signs. Opposition parties took advantage of the demonstrations and also called on Mubarak to give up either running for another term or the transfer of the presidency to his son, Jamal.

motico is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The events in Egypt

Is this better?

At the moment, it seems that the Egyptian regime is successfully imposing law and order on the country.

motico is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

You are correct. The situation there is volatile although we hope it will change for the better. Thanks!

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post
    I would like to know if the following paragraph is grammatically correct. Thank you.

At this point in time, it seems that the Egyptian regime can impose law and order on the country. Members of the security services as well as soldiers, either in uniform or in civilian clothes, were called, to the last one, to protect the regime from the anger of the masses. In several cases the security services opened fire into the protesters and some were killed. The masses did not make do only with demonstrating against Mubark and bequeathing power to his son, but expressed their anger by burning cars, breaking into businesses and destroying "indecent" street signs. Opposition parties took advantage of the demonstrations and also called on Mubarak to give up either running for another term or the transfer of the presidency to his son, Jamal.
    What is 'one'? - presumably a demonstration, but you should specify. But 'to the last one' may be meant to mean 'to the last man' (an idiom meaning 'every one of them') I can imagine people regarding a street sign as 'indecent', but only in the most unlikely of circumstances. Do you know what it means? It'd be good to aim for parallelism in the either/or expression: '...to give up either running... or transferring...'

I'm glad discussions so far have avoided any discussions of politics! But we've mostly addressed style and semantics. The grammar seems OK.

b

motico is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was clear I meant "to the last man", but since you comment it could be misinterpreted I'll correct this.
    I also wondered what the author meant in: "street signs" (the article was originally written in Hebrew). Perhaps he meant commercial advertisements or something like that.
    I do not see in this passage discussion of politics. I only described a situation without analyzing it or expressing my point of view.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

...And I praised this in the hope that future contributors might follow your lead.

'To the last one' would be possible with inanimate objects: 'He ate the biscuits - to the last one'. But when people are involved, use 'to the last man'.

b