[Vocabulary] (Greeting) when you want to ask:"what has happened since we last met?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I know "how are you doing?" and "how are you doing with ..." and "how is it going?". I wonder if there is any phrase in English for asking your friend about things which has happened since the last time you met. In persian we have a specific phrase for it, something like "what are the news?" but what do english people say? I might have heard it before in a movie.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

What's new?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I dunno ... yesterday, maybe. It's quite common in informal settings between acquaintances where I come from (Middle Atlantic, USA). Be aware that it isn't strictly a request for information, it's more like "how are you?" that way. A common response is "Nothing. What's new with you?", but a fuller answer is not rare.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know "how are you doing?" and "how are you doing with ..." and "how is it going?". I wonder if there is any phrase in English for asking your friend about things which has happened since the last time you met. In persian we have a specific phrase for it, something like "what are the news?" but what do english people say? I might have heard it before in a movie.

More recently and perhaps more informally you might hear "What's up?" In any case, in AmE, as a response to any of these casual greetings is often the same greeting/question. Ah! AmE.:-?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
More recently and perhaps more informally you might hear "What's up?" In any case, in AmE, as a response to any of these casual greetings is often the same greeting/question. Ah! AmE.:-?

Thank you. I knew about "what's up" but I had doubts that "what's up" is only used when something bad has happened.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
"How have you been?" is another option.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you. "How have you been?" is very good and suitable when I just want to ask about he/she himself/herself. "what's up?" and "what's new with ..." sound better when asking him/her about the new events general.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'How have you been?' 'Have you retired yet?'

'How's the family?' 'Do you still live at the same place?'

'What happened to your mum and dad?' 'Did you manage to sell your house eventually?'

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you. I knew about "what's up" but I had doubts that "what's up" is only used when something bad has happened.

I think you are correct, however, in thinking that it's not usually a general, everyday greeting. At least in my part of the country, "What's up?" is most often used to react to a specific action or event, for example:

- a student walks into my classroom wanting to ask something, so I ask "What's up?" (meaning, "What do you need?")

- my friends are all talking excitedly about something, so I ask "What's up?" (meaning, "What's happened? Why are you so excited?")

- a co-worker asks me to come see her but doesn't say why, so I go in and ask "What's up?" (meaning, "Why did you want to see me?")

Other alternatives to "What's new?" could be:
- "What have you been up to lately?"
- "How's everything?" or "How are things going?"
- "What's going on with you these days?"
- "Anything new in your life?"

I'll start paying more attention to what my friends and I say now!! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.