Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Please explain me the following. Murphy's grammar explains that "recommend" can be used with verb+object+to. His example is "I wouldn't recommend anybody to stay in the hotel". Another grammar book says that "some verbs, like consider and recommend, are followed by to-infinitive only when used in the passive or with an OBJECT PRONOUN.". My question is whether I can use a noun in such a structure. Many thanks

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please explain me the following. Murphy's grammar explains that "recommend" can be used with verb+object+to. His example is "I wouldn't recommend anybody to stay in the hotel". Another grammar book says that "some verbs, like consider and recommend, are followed by to-infinitive only when used in the passive or with an OBJECT PRONOUN.". My question is whether I can use a noun in such a structure. Many thanks

I checked out my dictionary and some online dictionaries and I did not come across a sentence which contradicts what you quote from "Another grammar book". Murphy's example also is with a pronoun (anybody). It's interesting, I never knew it might be such a limitation for "recommend" use.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

The very authoritative A Comprehensive Grammar of the English

Language appears to sanction the use of a noun.

It gives this example:

I told/advised/persuaded Mark to see a doctor.

It then lists other verbs that fit this pattern, including recommend.

On the other hand, Modern American Usage (a respected book but

one that many people feel is too old-fashioned) plainly states:

"recommend never takes a direct object followed by an infinitive."

It says that "He recommended his students to read Gibbon [a famous

historian]" is wrong. It should be "He recommended to his students that

they should read all of Gibbon."

The book says that you "recommend somebody" only for a job.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I cannot quote a grammar book but as a native speaker I would never say this.

Raymott has the same opinion, i.e. not only "object" but also "object pronoun" is not suitable here. I personally like to use them between "recommend" and "to + infinitive" :-D but perhaps I have to revision some of my lingual habbits. The following is the link to a thread which contains Raymott post. olegv has sure read it already.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/140318-vs-ing-2.html

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please explain me the following.

You shouldn't say:"explain me" as far as I know. You could say:"Please explain the following to me". It follows the same structure as "recommend".

Status
Not open for further replies.