Lesson I: Concept of soil and soil properties
Soils are both of fixed fortune and productive material. Under people’s impact, soil can change following two opposite ways: the first site, soil quality will get better if people apply an appreciative method to improve and exploit it, other site, if people do not know how to use and exploit pertinently cause soil erosion and productivity loss. Farmers need to know about concept of soil to use and exploit it pertinently and sustainably.
After ending of this course, trainees can achieve:
1) The basic concept of soil
2) Soil properties
3) Can apply the knowledge of soil and suggest technical methods for improving land on their farm.
III. Time: 170 mins
- Some popular soil samples at local area:
- Paper A4, A0, pens, magnifier, knife, scissors, pliers
- Notes: can take soil sample at different soil stage
- V. Contents and operation
Step1: Introduction of topic, objects, demanding and group division 10 mins
Step2: collection of sample (integrating fielding as visit garden and visit field) 30 mins
Step3: trainees observe and descript all kinds of collected samples 30 mins
Relax 10 mins
Step4: Group discussion
1. What is mechanical component of soil?
2. What are each level soil properties?
3. What is soil structure?
4. What is factors impact to soil vien structure?
5. what’s the benefit of soil has vien structure:
- To soil?
- To crops?
6. What is the method for improving soil to change condition of cultivation? 30 mins
Step5: the groups present discussion result on paper A0 20 mins
Step6: the groups present the result in frond of class 30 mins
7. Trainer coordinates with trainees to summarize the subject. 10 mins
Notes: During the discussion, trainer should use suggestive questions to facilitate them.