Post Thanks / Like

Default The right usage of the word "still"

Is the sentence, "It is raining still now", correct ? Can "still now" be used to mean "even now" ? Or will it be "It is raining still", or, "It is still raining".

regards,

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The right usage of the word "still"

Is the sentence, "It is raining still now", correct ?
    No.

Can "still now" be used to mean "even now" ?
    No

Or will it be "It is raining still",
    Yes, but not common

or, "It is still raining".
    Bingo! Yes, correct and common.

Still is used to say that something is in the present, not the past... it has not finished, but we are surprised that it is not finished.

"She is still asleep... I thought she would wake up an hour ago."
    "You are not still friends with Suzy, are you? I thought you did not like him."

Post Thanks / Like

"You are not still friends with Suzy, are you? I thought you did not like him."
    Suzy?? Queer name for a him isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, once again, grasshopper, you have been clever enough to find the error I deliberately, on purpose, decided to insert in a random answer so as to appear to be in error, when in reality... boy, did I goober that one up.

Though, funny story, and this in no way excuses my error, my best man at my wedding was named Suzy.. Suzy Coffman... my best friend from childhood, so... I asked her to be my best man. She voted for "Best Babe" title but my wife vetoed that from the programs....

Post Thanks / Like

"Grasshopper", really! A stupid mistake is still a mistake and no amount of lousy excuses is going to make it any different.
    BTW, is it customary for Americans to resort to name-calling when admitting their mistakes? I wonder what name-calling Bush Jr. would resort to when he has to admit that the Iraq war was a deliberate mistake!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I was mixing English Culture with English Language, and it apparently didn't translate.

When a fellow native English speaker makes a comment to me, I usually switch back to my natural speech patterns... I use common cultural references, more complex speech, and use humor that I would not use with a learner, since neither humor nor poetry translate well.

But, your English was so flawless I assumed you were a native English speaker, or a very, very advanced learner... hence, I switched from 'teacher' mode to 'friend' mode, and used some cultural references and humor that a native speaker would either catch or deduce from the tone of 'voice,' but perhaps not a learner, and perhaps not in this case.

"Grasshopper" comes from a TV show a few years ago, whose star was a super-incredible person, super-smart, super-strong, etc. There would be flashbacks during the show as the star remembered his school days at a special school for geniuses, where his instructor called him, "Grasshopper."

Ever since then, 'Grasshopper' is used in joking conversation by an older authority figure, like a coach or a teacher, talking to a student who is obviously far smarter or better than the teacher.

For example, a soccer coach plays as goaltender, and one of his star students scores ten goals on him. As the soccer coach laid on the grass trying to catch his breath, he might joke, "Ah, Grasshopper, <pant pant> I see that <pant> you are improving..."

The reference is so common all you really have to say, when someone points out your mistake, is to say, "Ah, Grasshopper..." and everyone smiles, knowing you are admitting your mistake in a funny, perhaps dumb, way.

And I would guess that lousy excuses do make up for things... I was deliberately using such incredibly lousy excuses (hiding errors in teaching materials? I don't think so...) that again, like the grasshopper joke, I was showing that I was obviously wrong, knew I was wrong, and was so wrong all I could do is make silly, ridiculous excuses.

This is knows as the "Nazi Frogmen" style of excuse. When a seventh grader is caught by his teacher without his homework for the hundredth time, and he has already used every excuse in the world, he finally bursts out, "Nazi frogmen (Scuba Divers) broke into my house last night and stole my homework! Honest!"

This is his admitting that there is absolutely no hope for him, he has messed up so badly only a miracle, or a Nazi frogman burglar, could save him.

I sincerely apologize, Temico, for using cultural references that you are unfamiliar with... your ability to learn such superb English as a native Chinese speaker indicates you are obviously far superior to my own much more humble language-learning skills I hope that you will correctly attribute my clumsiness to me, and not as a shared characteristic of my 296,000,000 countrymen.