Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask about the meaning of "test you to the very core of your being" in the following context:

The weather isn't always pleasant, though. Sometimes you are lashed by theelements—rain, wind, unbearable heat, or freezing cold. These represent the adversities and challenges in life. They can be extremely harsh—perhaps even test you to the very core of your being—and they cannot be avoided. You do not know when the storm will come; you only know that it will come. Mild weather never lasts forever.

Does the phrase in question simply mean "test you completely", i.e. difficult situations test you?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask about the meaning of "test you to the very core of your being" in the following context:

The weather isn't always pleasant, though. Sometimes you are lashed by theelements—rain, wind, unbearable heat, or freezing cold. These represent the adversities and challenges in life. They can be extremely harsh—perhaps even test you to the very core of your being—and they cannot be avoided. You do not know when the storm will come; you only know that it will come. Mild weather never lasts forever.

Does the phrase in question simply meam "test you completely", i.e. difficult situations test you?
Yes. It's figurative. There is no "core of one's being". It means it will test the most profound, elemental, essential part of you. It will test the limits of your mind, body and soul ...

KLPNO

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you very much, Raymott.

Status
Not open for further replies.