Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
"Do you want to listen to the radio ?" Is this an offer or a suggestion or maybe both ?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Isn't an offer always a suggestion?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Isn't an offer always a suggestion?

Yes, if we don't think of other meanings of the word "offer". But I think that a suggestion is not always an offer. Somebody asks:"Do you want to listen to the radio?". If she/he is willing to help you find a radio or lend you her/his radio then I would consider it an offer. But if she says afterward:"Then let's go to pub and listen to the radio!" then it would not be an offer in my opinion.

farhadhamed

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
................"Then let's go to pub and listen to the radio!" then it would not be an offer in my opinion.

This isn't an offer? Contrariwise, this is exactly an offer.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, if we don't think of other meanings of the word "offer". But I think that a suggestion is not always an offer. Somebody asks:"Do you want to listen to the radio?". If she/he is willing to help you find a radio or lend you her/his radio then I would consider it an offer. But if she says afterward:"Then let's go to pub and listen to the radio!" then it would not be an offer in my opinion.

Other than "offer" and "suggestion" it could also be an "invitation". it depends on the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.