Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Is this term used commonly in English? Any informal word to refer to such police members?

Thanks.

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, this is a common term in American English. Informally, we'd say, "undercover cop."

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, this is a common term in American English. Informally, we'd say, "undercover cop."

Many thanks, dear Mukwyner. :)
And is there any British informal term for this too? Hope some British speaker will see this, too.

Regards

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
A plainclothes policeman isn't necessarily undercover.
For example, we have police in plain clothes who drive unmarked police cars on the highways, to catch speeding motorists (and for revenue raising). I wouldn't call these undercover cops. 'Undercop cop', to me, implies someone who disguises himself and infiltrates an organisation, pretending to be someone he's not. Plainclothes cops don't pretend not to be cops; they just don't advertise the fact.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
A plainclothes policeman isn't necessarily undercover.
For example, we have police in plain clothes who drive unmarked police cars on the highways, to catch speeding motorists (and for revenue raising). I wouldn't call these undercover cops. 'Undercop cop', to me, implies someone who disguises himself and infiltrates an organisation, pretending to be someone he's not. Plainclothes cops don't pretend not to be cops; they just don't advertise the fact.

Thanks dear Raymott. Can I conclude that "undercover cop" has nothing to do with their clothes? And, is there any informal term for this? (I mean it must be sort of abstract.)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks dear Raymott. Can I conclude that "undercover cop" has nothing to do with their clothes?
Well, undercover cops don't wear a uniform. They have that in common with plainclothes cops. You don't wear a police uniform if you're trying to infiltrate a bikie gang, for example. You wear bikie's clothes.
And, is there any informal term for this?
For what? - undercover work? or plainclothes work? These are informal terms (I think). The technical term might be something like 'covert assignment' - but don't quote me.
In Australia, the detective division don't wear uniforms.
(I mean it must be sort of abstract.) ?
The terms would probably be different in different countries.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Many thanks, dear Mukwyner. :)
And is there any British informal term for this too? Hope some British speaker will see this, too.

Regards

We're not ignoring you, Mehrgan.

It's just that, to my knowledge, we have no informal term for plainclothes police officers, at least in general parlance. I suspect the criminal classes have a few choice words for them, but unless they write in to enlighten us we may never know.

I agree with Raymott that they are not necessarily working undercover. They may be deployed in sensitive situations where the presence of a uniformed officer might be intimidating - such as interviewing children or the mentally disturbed.

Rover

Last edited:

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,
Is this term used commonly in English? Any informal word to refer to such police members?

Thanks.
I am not a teacher.

You can say "plainclothes police officer" and sound normal. There is also "plainclothesman", believe it or not. I do not know of a general informal word for that.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
We're not ignoring you, Mehrgan.

It's just that, to my knowledge, we have no informal term for plainclothes police officers, at least in general parlance. I suspect the criminal classes have a few choice words for them, but unless they write in to enlighten us we may never know.

I agree with Raymott that they are not necessarily working undercover. They may be deployed in sensitive situations where the presence of a uniformed officer might be intimidating - such as interviewing children or the mentally disturbed.

Rover

Thanks for your consideration. Since I love British English I had a gut feeling that there must be a hypocorism for this term! :)

Thanks to all dear posters.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You could also describe a plainclothes policeman as being 'in civvies' - meaning 'in the clothes of a civilian' - but this expression could be applied to anyone who wears uniform when on duty (soldiers, sailors, doormen, parking attendants...).

b

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You
could also describe a plainclothes policeman as being 'in civvies' - meaning 'in the clothes of a civilian' - but this expression could be applied to anyone who wears uniform when on duty (soldiers, sailors, doormen, parking attendants...).

Wow! I just love that "civvies"!
Ta!

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
You may also hear 'tec' which is a shortened form for detective, all of whom wear plain clothes when working unless on parade when they wear uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.