Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
A /g/ is pronounced and heard in some dialects, but not in Standard English. You may think you hear it, but it isn't there,

Well, to improve my pronunciation I've made much use of some videos on the internet on the English sounds that my mother language doesn't have. They were very useful with particularly correcting my voiceless th and to some degree with the voiced th. But when it comes to the ŋ sound, it's been a total failure because I even couldn't discern the difference between the ŋ and ng sounds all the time the instructors say them one after other. Everytime it just sounds like ng on the contrary of what you said. So I still keep on saying the sound as ng.

Last edited:

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

No, I cannot. Sorry but it again sounded like fɪnɡər not fɪŋɡər. I guess it'll be a good thing for me to keep this little mispronunciation of mine with me and keep on trying to improve my voiced th. It's been in vain (because it seems to have proven to me that I'm ŋ-proof) but thank you for your try to help me out on this.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
No, I cannot. Sorry but it again sounded like fɪnɡər not fɪŋɡər. I guess it'll be a good thing for me to keep this little mispronunciation of mine with me and keep on trying to improve my voiced th. It's been in vain (because it seems to have proven to me that I'm ŋ-proof) but thank you for your try to help me out on this.
But did you notice that there is no /g/ sound in "singer"? It's present in "finger", but not in "singer".

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
But did you notice that there is no /g/ sound in "singer"? It's present in "finger", but not in "singer".

Finger or singer it doesn't matter. To me, there is still a g following the n.

hick

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi everybody.
If anyone still need to improve treir ŋ I'll try to help. ŋ is a nasal g. I'm sure everyone can pronounce ŋ, in any case, when there's no vowel after it. So you pronounce g and then not changing the tongue position you pronounce g through your nose. See to it that you don't move your tongue.
It's much more difficult to pronounce the sound between two vowels, for example singer. There's no g here, only the nasal sound. Watch it that your tounge is in the right position. I'm almost entirely sure that you won't be able to pronounce correctly at once, but main thing here is training; and with the lapse of time you will pronounce the correct ŋ.
Good luck and forgive me my English please.

Learner91

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Holy See
Current Location
Iceland
1) In words ending with "ng" (e.g. evening, verb+ing) "ng" is pronounced as /ŋ/, but I can't make this sound, so can it be pronounced as /n/? Is it a mistake to pronounce /g/ in the end of such words?

2) How do you pronounce the word "of"?

TIA :-D

im still fugurin this sound out..i can make k n g sounds w/o really touchin my soft palate tho..u needa listen 2 the ng sound n try makin d sound..
as for the second question,of is pronounced as OV(BrE) or AV(AmE)..at 1st,i was confused when i saw d pronunciation of the word OF..i tot it was supposed to b pronounced as OF/AF or something.lol..

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[STRIKE]i[/STRIKE]I'm still f[STRIKE]u[/STRIKE]iguring this sound out..[STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] can make /k, n, g/ sounds [STRIKE]w/o[/STRIKE]without really touching my soft palate though..you need[STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] to listen [STRIKE]2[/STRIKE] to the ng sound and try making [STRIKE]d[/STRIKE]the sound..etc
Please try to use correct spelling and capitalisation, and avoid chatlish when responding to questions.

Learner91

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Holy See
Current Location
Iceland
Please try to use correct spelling and capitalisation, and avoid chatlish when responding to questions.

Aye aye,ex-teacher!laugh out loud.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic