Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Does "amymore" mean the same as "lately" or "these days"?

Would this be OK to say "I've been working out anymore."?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland

NOT A TEACHER.

No, definitely not.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I am not a teacher.

That is regional and dialectic in the US. I use it myself in certain situations in speech (Middle Atlantic, USA). It will seem quite outlandishly wrong to anyone who is not already familiar with it, and it should be avoided, especially in formal writing.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I am not a teacher.

That is regional and dialectic in the US. I use it myself in certain situations in speech (Middle Atlantic, USA). It will seem quite outlandishly wrong to anyone who is not already familiar with it, and it should be avoided, especially in formal writing.

Waht would those situations be? Would it make sence to you in post #1?

Last edited:

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Waht would those situations be?
I was afraid somebody would ask that. When I use it, it is conscious and somewhat facetious. The use apparently originated in Ireland, where it is reportedly alive and well. The word is a synonym for "lately". When to use it is instinctive, so I can't really tell you when I'd do it, but it isn't very often. There are places, though, where they say it all the time.

I might say, "I've been feeling my age anymore."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I was afraid somebody would ask that. When I use it, it is conscious and somewhat facetious. The use apparently originated in Ireland, where it is reportedly alive and well. The word is a synonym for "lately". When to use it is instinctive, so I can't really tell you when I'd do it, but it isn't very often. There are places, though, where they say it all the time.

I might say, "I've been feeling my age anymore."

You shoudn't have been!:) We are not doing the exam. I've already mentioned that in the post that you've preceded with yours. Suppose I haven't seen a person in a while so he seems to have grown muscles, would it sound OK down your way, if I said "I have been working out anymore."?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You shoudn't have been!:) We are not doing the exam. I've already mentioned that in the post that you've preceded with yours. Suppose I haven't seen a person in a while so he seems to have grown muscles, would it sound OK down your way, if I said "I have been working out anymore."?

No, but "She's so annoying anymore" would. Go figure. It's rare and slangy around here, and I think you can safely forget about it for now. I just wanted you to be aware that some people use it so you'd know what they mean.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No, but "She's so annoying anymore" would. Go figure. It's rare and slangy around here, and I think you can safely forget about it for now. I just wanted you to be aware that some people use it so you'd know what they mean.

So it has to do with things you do kind of "mentally" and the result is not tangible?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So it has to do with things you do kind of "mentally" and the result is not tangible?
If there is a rule you can apply, I can't imagine what it might be, but I'm pretty sure it isn't that. I can say it means something more like "these days" than "lately". Your example didn't work partly because "I've been working out" is complete already. Like I said, the use is unusual here and impossible most places, so don't kill a lot of time on it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

To me, it sounds nonsensical. As Coolfootluke says, it's not standard English.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
It’s called the “positive anymore” and wikipedia has a short article about it with some links if you are really interested.

But it is not standard English and if you use it almost everyone will think you are just making a mistake.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If there is a rule you can apply, I can't imagine what it might be, but I'm pretty sure it isn't that. I can say it means something more like "these days" than "lately". Your example didn't work partly because "I've been working out" is complete already. Like I said, the use is unusual here and impossible most places, so don't kill a lot of time on it.

If I I say "I've been working out lately or these days", this might well mean that I started in the past, continued doing it up to the moment of speaking and may go on doing it in the future?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I I say "I've been working out lately or these days", this might well mean that I started in the past, continued doing it up to the moment of speaking and may go on doing it in the future?

I would say that "these days" is wrong there. "I've been working out lately" is normal English, and I think you have the right idea about it. It does indeed imply that you intend to continue, at least for the immediate future.

In case you've forgotten, I am not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.