He succeeded in persuading the young lady into(to) marriage with him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If "into" works for the below as it means state change or conversion from a place to another, does "to" also work as it's used for reaching something or result?

ex)He succeeded in persuading the young lady into:)oops:to) marriage with him.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

No. "Marriage" gets special treatment, it seems. We enter into it. We do the same with contracts and the like.

Your sentence is slightly unidiomatic even with "into" (He succeeded in persuading the young lady into marriage with him.). The words are in the right order, but my American ear wants the infinitive with "persuade", and "marriage with him" sounds old fashioned: "He succeeded in persuading the young lady to marry him."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I am not a teacher.

No. "Marriage" gets special treatment, it seems. We enter into it. We do the same with contracts and the like.

Your sentence is slightly unidiomatic even with "into" (He succeeded in persuading the young lady into marriage with him.). The words are in the right order, but my American ear wants the infinitive with "persuade", and "marriage with him" sounds old fashioned: "He succeeded in persuading the young lady to marry him."

What about "into marrying him"? Does it also make sense?
And if you say "into marriage with him" or "Tom married with Jane", it means there were two marriage events, not one. It means Tom married another girl, while Jane married another boy. Right?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What about "into marrying him"? Does it also make sense?
And if you say "into marriage with him" or "Tom married with Jane", it means there were two marriage events, not one. It means Tom married another girl, while Jane married another boy. Right?

No one would say "Tom married with Jane" to mean that the two of them are both married, but not to each other.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No one would say "Tom married with Jane" to mean that the two of them are both married, but not to each other.

If non-native speakers said that by mistake, wouldn't you take it as two separate marriages? What I mean is, natives speakers don't do it on purpose, but how would you take its nuance?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If non-native speakers said that by mistake, wouldn't you take it as two separate marriages? What I mean is, natives speakers don't do it on purpose, but how would you take its nuance?
Those of us who work in TEFL/TESOL would understand what the speaker meant. Others might have to ask the speaker what they meant.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I would take it that you meant Tom was married to Jane, and that you did not know that you didn't need a preposition.

To mean separate marriages, you could say "Tom and Jane are both married."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Those of us who work in TEFL/TESOL would understand what the speaker meant. Others might have to ask the speaker what they meant.

I've always told my students that marry with could mean two weddings, but I was mistaken, I feel really ashamed. I would never make that mistake again. Thank you and SoothingDave for correcting me, thank you!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could work if you used along with for two marriages.

Status
Not open for further replies.