Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hey!
Can anyone check if there are any grammatical mistakes in my sentences?

1. Sometimes it's better to have low expectations - that way, you're less likely to be dissapointed.
2. Not all of the exhibits are on display - some of them are in storage, because the museum is fairly small.
3.I always knew that the concert was going to be terrible. And needles to say it was!
4.After the success of the last album, the release of the band's new album this month is a resounding success.
5.The show was keenly anticipated with both audiences and the critics.
6.His scruffy clothes seemed out of keeping with a prestigious awards ceremony.
7.She gave up a lucrative career in accountancy to take up painting.
8.It was a masterful performance - despite her character's tragic flaws she managed to evoke sympathy from the audience.
9.The film seems to pose the question: is the price of popularity worth paying?
10.Reality TV shows seem to pander to the public's taste for instant celebrity.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
monikka. Only a couple of errors jump out at me.

3.I always knew that the concert was going to be terrible. And needless to say it was!
5.The show was keenly anticipated by both audiences and critics. (I would drop the definite article for "critics", and if it's a one-off event then it should be "audience").

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with JMurray there.

Also, remember 'disappoint' has only one s...

No.4 might be grammatically correct, but it's a stylistic disaster! You could replace 'resounding success' with 'disappointment' and it would then make sense, although not say what you want. When you start your sentence with 'After the success of the last album' your reader is expecting a contrast to follow. What happens instead is that the second half of the sentence is a repetition of the first, even to the extent of using the same word (success).

A complete rebuilding is necessary here, to show how the band's second album was as successful as, or better than, the first. You can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.