Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am looking for adjective which describe different kinds of music. I am not looking much for the names of the genres but I need some adjective or phrases.

1- Happy music. (right? what other adjectives are applicable here?)
2- Sad music. (Any other adjectives?)
3- Some music without any song. (Is instrumental good enough?)
4- Mild music. (How can I describe it with one adjective?)
5- How can I describe the kind of music I hear in a party? What adjectives?
6- How can I describe the kind of music I listen to when I am studying? The kind of music which is not annoying when one studies and even helps.
7- How can I describe the rhythme of a piece of music?

Thank you very much in advance.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Khosro.
Adjectives used to describe all sorts of things are also used to describe music, but I'll give you a few that are often associated with music.

1- Happy music. (right? what other adjectives are applicable here?) – upbeat, cheerful.
2- Sad music. (Any other adjectives?) – minor key, bluesy, melancholy.
3- Some music without any song. (Is instrumental good enough?) – In most cases, yes.
4- Mild music. (How can I describe it with one adjective?). – If you mean to be derogatory: bland, muzak. If neutral: light. Perhaps MOR (middle of the road).
5- How can I describe the kind of music I hear in a party? What adjectives? – Depends on the type of party, maybe: wild, rockin', danceable, lively.
6- How can I describe the kind of music I listen to when I am studying? The kind of music which is not annoying when one studies and even helps. – ambient, low-key, background.
7- How can I describe the rhythme of a piece of music? – Depends on the type of music, maybe: jazzy, steady, syncopated, leaden, jaunty, hot etc.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher. American answer:

I am looking for adjective which describe different kinds of music. I am not looking much for the names of the genres but I need some adjective or phrases.

1- Happy music. (right? what other adjectives are applicable here?) Right. Pretty much any adjective you would use to desribe the feeling would work.
2- Sad music. (Any other adjectives?) Good. Same as above.
3- Some music without any song. (Is instrumental good enough?) You mean without singing, I believe. Yes.
4- Mild music. (How can I describe it with one adjective?) The radio stations call that "easy listening", and the term has caught on.
5- How can I describe the kind of music I hear in a party? What adjectives? Dance music.
6- How can I describe the kind of music I listen to when I am studying? The kind of music which is not annoying when one studies and even helps. Background music, maybe, or mood music.
7- How can I describe the rhythme of a piece of music? The beat.

Thank you very much in advance.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
And how am I to describe the beat? apart from "upbeat" which is derived from "beat" and Murry suggested as a way to describe happy music.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Within different genres, people describe things differently- a techno fan and a tango lover would probably use very different terms to talk about the beat. Could you give an example of the kind of music you have in mind?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Within different genres, people describe things differently- a techno fan and a tango lover would probably use very different terms to talk about the beat. Could you give an example of the kind of music you have in mind?

Yes, you are right Tdol. I just need some general words.

Status
Not open for further replies.