Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
In a workbook you can come upon a future tense exercise designed as a fictitious interview. In the answer part of the interviewee you have to decide on the appropriate future tense. Since the context, i.e. the preceding question of the interviewer carries implications as it contains the hints for the right decision on part of the student, I´ll give you this part first. It says:

Interviewer: Are you planning any more children with
Henry?

Interviewee: We (have/future tense) a child together

as soon as the time is right.

What future tense(s) would the native speaker decide on, and why?

With best thanks in advance and kind regards

Hucky

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is no future tense in English.

We express the future by using auxiliary verbs and verb phrases such as will and going to.

I walk two miles every day.
I walked two miles yesterday.
I will walk two miles tomorrow.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Interviewer: Are you planning any more children with
Henry?

Interviewee: We (have/future tense) a child together as soon as the time is right.

What future tense(s) would the native speaker decide on, and why?
We are going to have / we will have / we will be having / we are having / we plan to have / we are planning to have / etc.

All of these are possible.

As to the why - it depends on what is passing through the speaker's mind at the moment of speaking.

Very
roughly:

We are going to have: there is evidence in our minds of the intention to have...
we will have: this is seen as a certainty (given the rightness of the time), or: it is our wish
we will be having: this is simply what will happen
we are having: we have arranged this.

For more tedious explanations of how we express futurity, try: http://www.gramorak.com/Articles/Future.pdf

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Just in brief, let me thank you both very much and also for your former valuable reply. They have been of much help to me. As time is approaching midnight, may I come back to you tomorrow evening with an additional question just to be on the safe side again? For the time being, all the best!

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Dear fivejedjon!

Thanks to your illustrative examples I can see your point very well. But do you also mean to say that all the four versions you are offering would work here in this context? Wouldn´t the speaker in the given situation – having been asked if she was planning – prefer one of them? Well, I for one would deem numbers 1 and 4 (going to/present continuous) more appropriate as they express an intention, an arrangement, resp. The keyword planning in the question seems to suggest that. But there might be another consideration here. The main clause of the answer in the future tense is combined with a temporal clause. Wouldn´t that rule out versions 3 an 4 (future continuous/present continuous)? Or can they also go with a temporal clause? What would be your favourite choice here, if there is one?

Thanks again and best greetings

Hucky

P.S. Dear mykwyner, of course, I would also appreciate your point of view in the issue.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What would be your favourite choice here, if there is one?
This is a classic case of 'grammar as choice'.

I honestly have no idea which of the utterances would emerge from my mouth if I were asked such a question. So much depends on so many intangibles which may influence a speaker's words without the speaker being consciously aware of them.

It's possible that I wouldn't use any future form at all, contenting myself with, "Yes, when we feel the time is right."

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Dear Fivejedon,

Well, that´s what real language usage is like in contrast to some isolated stereotype patterns. Best thanks for taking the time! Good night!

Hucky

amy001

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But there might be another consideration here. The main clause of the answer in the future tense is combined with a temporal clause. Wouldn´t that rule out versions 3 an 4 (future continuous/present continuous)? Or can they also go with a temporal clause? What would be your favourite choice here, if there is one?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But there might be another consideration here. The main clause of the answer in the future tense is combined with a temporal clause. Wouldn´t that rule out versions 3 an 4 (future continuous/present continuous)?
In the right context, all of these tense/aspect forms are possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.