Thread: chin down

sadry Guest

Default chin down

Dear Teacher,

I would like to the meaning of this idiom"CHIN DOWN" whose meaning I can't find. I have been looking it up in many books but I can't find, but I don't give up. My e-mail is EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead.
    Truly yours,
    Sergio

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: chin down

It comes from the sport, the game, of BOXING, where two people fight, hit each other.

If someone hits you on your chin, it hurts you and maybe you would lose the fight.

So, when you box, when you fight, you turn your head down, turn your face and your chin down a little, so that it is hard for the other person to hit your chin.

So, if I want you to be safe, want you to be careful, want you to not be hurt, I warn you to "keep your chin down,"... stay safe, be careful, watch out for danger... do not do anything stupid.

Me: "My boss is very angry, and we all have to go to a meeting with him."
    You: "Well, keep your chin down, don't say anything stupid that would make him mad at you."

HaraKiriBlade is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if 'chin down' can be used in the same manner as 'neck down', as in 'paralyzed from neck down'.

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No, sorry HKB. The chin is used in several expressions, but never like that.

The opposite of keeping your chin down is sticking your chin out which is an idiom meaning daring someone try and hurt you. We also say keep your chin up which means "don't lose courage."

HaraKiriBlade is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

The doctors have given her a discouraging prognosis . . . she is paralyzed from the chin down & will never breathe on her own again.

I found this sentence in the following link:

http://www.ourleilani.com/

I'm not trying to offend or argue with you mykwyner. I may sound like I'm challenging you but I would never do that I'm merely asking here.

I found this site by typing "paralyzed from the chin down" in google. As this was the only site I found with the exact match I suppose the expression isn't common at best. And not all people use correct English in the sea of internet so I want you to confirm this. If you tell me this isn't the average English speaker's expression I will take your word for it.

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear HKB,

I should learn to speak in absolutes less frequently. Of course somebody can be paralyzed from the chin down, and if it can happen, then someone can say it. I should have said that I have never heard anyone say it.

By the way, you can challenge me any time you want. That is my rule with all of my students. I'm proud of them when they are right and I am wrong. Not happy, mind you, just proud.