Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

I'd be very grateful if somebody could take a look at the sentences below and tell me if they sound ok. I've got doubts about the usage of the words I've written in italics.

1. So you quit your job? That was a brave act (thing to do)
2. I don't want to change my job. It's suitable for me.
3. I work near my house, and I don't want to change my job. It's convenient for me.
4. The table/the restaurant can accommodate ten people.
5. More and more people work flexitime.
6. Having settled in a hotel, we went on tour of the city (I'm struggling to find a verb that would mean "checked into+left our bags in our rooms")

Thank you.

Gnome

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Denmark
1. So you quit your job? That was a courageous move.
3. I work near my house, and I don't want to change my job. It's convenient for me.
4. The table at the restaurant can accommodate ten people.
5. More and more people work flextime.
6. Having settled in a hotel, we went on tour [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] the city (I'm struggling to find a verb that would mean "checked into+left our bags in our rooms")

Thank you.

I'm not a teacher.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

Hello,

I'd be very grateful if somebody could take a look at the sentences below and tell me if they sound ok. I've got doubts about the usage of the words I've written in italics.

1. So you quit your job? That was a brave act (thing to do)
Good (with a period at the end).
Possible, but "It suits me" is more natural.
Good.
4. The table/the restaurant can accommodate ten people.
Good.
5. More and more people work flexitime.
I don't know that word.
6. Having settled in a hotel, we went on tour of the city (I'm struggling to find a verb that would mean "checked into+left our bags in our rooms")
Having dropped our bags at the hotel, we ....

Thank you.
De nada.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with Coolfootluke.

I'll just add that flexitime is fine (flexible working hours).

Rover

petit_minou

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello,

1. So you quit your job? That was a brave act (thing to do) :up: "thing to do" would be more common in speech but both are correct.

2. I don't want to change my job. It's suitable for me. "It suits me" is a common phrase in English that you can use here.

3. I work near my house, and I don't want to change my job. It's convenient for me. (house, but I don't...) convenient is a great word choice.

4. The table/the restaurant can accommodate ten people. :up:

5. More and more people work flexitime. flextime is the world that would be used in the US and Canada. I'm not sure if flexitime is used in other countries.

(6. Checked in to a hotel would be fine. "Checking in to a hotel" in English can mean the physical act of checking in with front hotel staff. It can also mean the completed act of checking in with staff and that you have already put your baggage away in the hotel room)

Thank you.

I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.