Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hello,

I have q question about the term idiolect:

According to my information, Idiolect is the person’s own language, his own choice of words and the features that characterized his own way of speech and writing. In another words, each individual has got his own linguistics’ choice.

So, my question is:

Do we have to link: Register, Jordon, Slang, Pidgin and creole to each individual idiolect?
To be more explicit: Are these terms related (or part of) to our personal idiolect?

Would you please help me?
Thank You.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Your idiolect is your own, personal, unique way of producing the particular dialect of your language community. If your language community speaks some form of pidgin or creole, then your idiolect will be one realisation of that. Your use of slang and sensitivity to register will be two of the many things that distinguish your idiolect from that of other members of your language community

The language I speak is English. The dialect is British English, which is itself an umbrella term for many more local dialects. If we want to be more precise, we could describe my dialect as 'Rather conservative, educated Southern British RP'. An expert might be able to place my accent more locally, to county, town, or even part of town, and might be able to infer clues about my education, profession and social class or even religion from my idiolect.

By the way, what is 'Jordon'?

yousrati

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Thank you very much for the explanation.

For Jargon (not “Jordon” I am sorry for the mistake :oops:) is a terminology that is related to a specific activity profession or group.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The only thing that I can think of that MIGHT not be part of one's idiolect is the timbre of the voice itself. That rather moves into music, but I suspect that it REALLY should be considered part of an idiolect.

e.g. "My wife's voice is a symphony..." from "Stop the world I want to get off" q.v.

Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The only thing that I can think of that MIGHT not be part of one's idiolect is the timbre of the voice itself. That rather moves into music, but I suspect that it REALLY should be considered part of an idiolect.
Thanks for that interesting thought. I am not sure that I agree that it should be considered part of an idiolect. I'll have to think about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.