hall monitor/ the sentry student or the student on duty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eren deren

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
In every class at our school there is one student who cleans the board when needed,etc.The students take turns to do this job.
What is that student called actually?
Hall monitor / the sentry student / the student on duty or class monitor?
what is the difference in the meaning of each?

Last edited:

eren deren

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I would be very pleased if someone helped me through this vocabulary problem :cry:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would be very pleased if someone helped me through this vocabulary problem :cry:
The reason nobody has answered so far is that there is no established system in most British schools for such a role; I suspect it is the same with American schools.

Some schools and some individual teachers may have systems, but what they call the student on duty is a matter of personal choice.

Sorry.

eren deren

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The reason nobody has answered so far is that there is no established system in most British schools for such a role; I suspect it is the same with American schools.

Some schools and some individual teachers may have systems, but what they call the student on duty is a matter of personal choice.

Sorry.

So ,I would choose ( class monitor ) .
thank you anyway.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I was a child going through the US school system, it was typically a punishment to be told to stay and clean the chalkboard. (Not a very harsh punishment, granted, but nevertheless no one really likes to stay after class.) If a student volunteered to clean the board and do other chores for the teacher, the rest of the class would probably call him "teacher's pet" and taunt him for trying to score brownie points or curry favor with the teacher. We didn't have a particular title or name for the student who did these chores.

As far as the student who wanders the corridors and checks to make sure you have a pass or aren't skipping out of class, those folks were called "hall monitors."

eren deren

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
When I was a child going through the US school system, it was typically a punishment to be told to stay and clean the chalkboard. (Not a very harsh punishment, granted, but nevertheless no one really likes to stay after class.) If a student volunteered to clean the board and do other chores for the teacher, the rest of the class would probably call him "teacher's pet" and taunt him for trying to score brownie points or curry favor with the teacher. We didn't have a particular title or name for the student who did these chores.

As far as the student who wanders the corridors and checks to make sure you have a pass or aren't skipping out of class, those folks were called "hall monitors."

It's not a punishment,but just an ordinary duty which is done daily .
the sentry student is the hall monitor at military schools as far as I know.
Thank you very much for your help.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not a punishment,but just an ordinary duty which is done daily .
the sentry student is the hall monitor at military schools as far as I know.
Thank you very much for your help.

Right, I understood that you were referring to an ordinary daily duty; I was just explaining that in the US such a duty is typically used as a punishment. Public school districts pay custodians union wages to clean the boards and do other daily maintainance tasks for each classroom, so having a student do it is unnecessary (that is, the boards will get cleaned and the wastebaskets emptied, etc, without a student assigned to the task). It's used as a method to punish students for unruly behavior, since corporal punishment is illegal in 30 of the 50 U.S. states.

eren deren

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
my last question would be as;
the class representative student is called 'prefect' .
Is this right in English?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
my last question would be as;
the class representative student is called 'prefect' .
Is this right in English?
No.

in Britain, prefects,where they exist, are senior students who have some role in maintaining discipline in the school out of the classroom.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
As the others have said, there are no fixed names in English (apart from hall monitor) because we don’t have these roles in most schools. I worked in schools in Thailand and we had to make English names for these types of jobs. You can make up your own but these are the ones we used:

Class leader – the head student of a homeroom class.
Cleaner(s) / Class cleaner(s) / Student(s) on duty: Student or students who had to clean up and/or help the teacher that day or week.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Class leader – the head student of a homeroom class.
Thanks, Munch. I had forgotten that one. S/he is often the form captain in British schools.

I have also just remembered that in primary schools (4/5-11) there is sometimes a board monitor, whose job it is to clean the board at the end of every lesson. Sorry I didn't think of that before; I worked in the secondary (11-16/18) sector.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
When I went to school in N.Y., many years ago, we had Class Presidents (elected by the class,) Hall Monitors and Blackboard Monitors (generally appointed from a group of volunteers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.