Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If someone is talking to me about complex things that I don't understand, could I say "You're losing me there."?

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
I've never seen the -ing form used in such contexts, only "You've lost me/you lost me". I wouldn't use the -ing form, but would be interested to find out if native speakers would.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I've never seen the -ing form used in such contexts, only "You've lost me/you lost me". I wouldn't use the -ing form, but would be interested to find out if native speakers would.

"Lost me" would be when you don't understand. What if someone started talking about complex things and the amount of info that is clear to you is gradually reducing?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Lost me" would be when you don't understand. What if someone started talking about complex things and the amoutnt of info that is clear to you is gradually reducing?
Yes, you could say "You're losing me there".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My first reaction when I read Ostap's question was to answer, "Yes, and you can also say, 'You've lost me there'".

Then I began to wonder if you could actually say, "You are losing me." There seems to be no reason why we shouldn't, but I don't think I do. Let's see what other native speakers have to say.

Oh - while I was writing that, bhai answered.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I can imagine saying that, in fact I'm sure I have at some time, when I'm starting to get lost while somebody is trying to explain something to me.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

My USD 0.02: "You're losing me there" sounds normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.