Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. AlexAD's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 672
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    "In town": does it need an article?

    Hi, there.
    While I have been looking through the English sentences I found the one that caught my sight to it and here it is:
    "This is the highest building in town"
    I assume that article is missed so it should be spelled as a "This is the highest building in a/the town". I did my assumption upon the rule that every singular countable noun can not be used alone. Am I right?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,609
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: "In town": does it need an article?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAD View Post
    Hi, there.
    While I have been looking through the English sentences I found the one that caught my sight to it and here it is:
    "This is the highest building in town"
    I assume that article is missed so it should be spelled as a "This is the highest building in a/the town". I did my assumption upon the rule that every singular countable noun can not be used alone. Am I right?
    Thanks in advance.
    No, you are not right. "In town" is correct, as would be "in the town".

  3. AlexAD's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 672
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: "In town": does it need an article?

    Thank you!
    But could you please be more specific at why am I wrong?
    Thanks in advance.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 41
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: "In town": does it need an article?

    This is commonly called a zero article. Some nouns do not require an article (it is optional) and "in town" is an example. When you use a preposition (in) and a non-specific place (town) you can choose to omit the article.

    An example would be:
    In town
    In hospital (in the UK, it would be in hospital, in the US, it would be in the hospital)
    In jail
    In church

    These are all common terms used in English.

  4. AlexAD's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 672
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: "In town": does it need an article?

    So, let me make sure I've got the explanations were made above right.
    The original "in town" which is correct however might also be spelled as an "in a town" or "in the town". You mentioned about the list of nouns that don't require an article, but I really cannot find it being referred somewhere in the rule. Could you please guide me.
    Thank you!

  5. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,848
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: "In town": does it need an article?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAD View Post
    So, let me make sure I've got the explanations were made above right.
    The original "in town" which is correct however might also be spelled as an "in a town" or "in the town". You mentioned about the list of nouns that don't require an article, but I really cannot find it being referred somewhere in the rule. Could you please guide me.
    Thank you!
    ♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
    In town is an idiom, and it means the area of a town where the shops and businesses are located; downtown; in the centre of a town.

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: "In town": does it need an article?

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    ♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
    In town is an idiom, and it means the area of a town where the shops and businesses are located; downtown; in the centre of a town.
    If one lives outside a town, 'in town' does not necessarily mean the centre.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] Question from BBC article "How do judges decide on sentences?"
    By chebu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-Oct-2010, 03:53
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Dec-2007, 01:01
  3. "town" and "city"
    By a.linguaphile in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Sep-2007, 11:36
  4. Issue of the form of the article - "an" vs "a"
    By black_velvet in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2006, 13:03
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Apr-2006, 03:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •