Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,
What is the meaing of the highlighted parts

A man talking to a woman on his previous huband.

{A- how long had you been married?

B- Too long. That's the answer, isn't it? I still gave it to him regular - he was happy enough with that, but i'd come to the end of something - and suddenly realized he never would.}

1- Does "I still gave it to him regular" mean that "his relationship with him was traditional"?

2- What is the meaning of "I'd come to the end of something"?

3- He never would "what"???? "he never would come to an end? or He never get bored?

If more context is needed, let me know. Anyway, her husband was supposed to be a prisoner and he escaped to kill her because she's trying to see a new man.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Does she mean that "I never let him feel that the period is too long"?

And the second one means that "she achieved a certain purpose"??

I can't get it.. They are just talking I hope there is more context.

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I still gave it to him regular - he was happy enough with that,
I am not too sure about the other highlighted parts, but I am pretty sure that this means that she had sex with him regularly.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Too long. That's the answer, isn't it? I still gave it to him regular - he was happy enough with that, but i'd come to the end of something - and suddenly realized he never would.}

maiabulela.
Fivejj is definitely right about the first one.
My understanding of the other passage is that although her husband seemed content, she felt that their marriage and that phase of her life had come to an end for her – but she also knew that her husband would never have that same feeling himself. My assumption is that she was the one who then made the move towards separation.

not a teacher

Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Too long. That's the answer, isn't it? I still gave it to him regular - he was happy enough with that, but i'd come to the end of something - and suddenly realized he never would.}

My understanding of the other passage is that although her husband seemed content, she felt that their marriage and that phase of her life had come to an end for her – but she also knew that her husband would never have that same feeling himself. My assumption is that she was the one who then made the move towards separation.
I think you are right.:up:

It's obvious - now that you have pointed it out. I can't think why I didn't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.